Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean install of Windows7Pro from XP Pro on an HP Pavillion

dont know how

• Please log in to reply

lattesgold

lattesgold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am trying to install Windows 7 Pro on an HP Pavillion a720n. I bought the Windows7 Pro disk and license off of Ebay. When I received it, it would not run on the computer. I contacted seller, and he said I need to clean hard disk in order to use it as it is meant for clean install into a new or newly built computer. I have been tryign for 3 days to get instructions for installing it, and keep running into problems. I was told by one tech to boot it from the disk player via the bios, but am stuck and cannot get that tech back into the chat we were on. I am using a different computer to be here.

I am totally confused and just need to get this hp computer running on Windows7 pro. Can anyone help me? We are retired and cannot afford to take it to have it done, nor do we have a vehicle to take it anywhere. ;-(  I am now so frustrated I am in tears over this! Can anyone help me?

lattesgold

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   lattesgold,

Can I first of all ask if you have checked that the computer is capable of running Windows 7, if not and XP is still running on the computer + it has internet access download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool from here

When you reply can you also post the link to from where the Windows 7 disk was purchased.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You need to get into BIOS Setup and set the DVD drive as the first boot device. Note it has to be a DVD as Windows 7 comes on a DVD, not a CD.

I believe pressing the Del key as soon as the HP logo appears will take you to BIOS Setup. If not, try F2.
Use the arrow keys to move to the Boot tab then change Boot priority to DVD first, hard drive 2nd.
Make sure the Win 7 DVD is in the drive then Save and Exit.

Follow these directions: How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7

Since you have to format the hard drive during install, make sure you backup anything you don't want to lose.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The reason that running the Windows 7 upgrade tool was suggested was due to the age of the computer and minimum specs that it was shipped with, unless the computer has been upgraded the OP will not be able to install Windows 7.

The HP Pavilion a720n Desktop PC Product Specifications show that it shipped with only 512MB of Ram (not enough for Windows 7 to run) and a 1GB maximum capacity, Windows 7 also requires support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB video memory to enable Aero theme and the stock computer only had/has 64MB.

There are also no drivers available from HP other than for XP, see here

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I agree it would be best to run the upgrade adviser first, didn't mean to imply otherwise, sorry.

Windows 7 will most likely have working drivers for most of the hardware in the HP a7290n but 1GB maximum RAM capacity and no DirectX 9 graphics capability will make it less usable than I would be willing to put up with.

On the other hand, if you can get Windows 8.1 32 bit to install it might run good enough to be quite usable since it has no AERO support to worry about. It wills till be sluggish but useable.

Do an image backup so you can get back to where you are if things don't work out, then try it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem, just thought it best to explain my thinking when not suggesting how to change the boot sequence etc first  :thumbsup:

As an asides Rich, lattesgold had already post the same question on the HP forums and been advised to run the upgrade advisor tool due to the computers original basic specs, this albeit after I had post the same information here earlier, HP thread here