Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running extremely slow/freezing. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

musikman

musikman

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hello,

My Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 suddenly started running extremely slow, constant freezes and very slow boot time. I ran several scans using TFC temp file cleaner, Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, CCleaner, AVG and defragged the hardrive, but a have had limited to no success.

I also ran the Resource & Performance Monitor by running "command: perfmon /report" which gave me some red flags but have no idea how to resolve those issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by musikman, 16 November 2014 - 09:23 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello musikman,

Can you download then run Speccy and post the url for us, details here this will provide us with some hardware and software information as a starting point.

If you are using AVG free as your AV protection swapping it for something a lot lighter on system resources such as Avast or MSE (both free) should make an improvement.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

EDIT: Do Phill's suggestion before mine and see how everything is. He beat me to responding.  :notworthy:

Have you tried running a clean boot? Maybe you have too much stuff running on startup.

Press the Windows button + R and type "msconfig" without the quotes. Go to the startup tab and uncheck everything and click apply.

At this point I would disconnect your laptop from the internet. This process will disable your Antivirus and you shouldn't be connected to the Internet without it. 

Reboot and see how things are.

Edited by hazard209, 16 November 2014 - 09:38 AM.

musikman

musikman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Thanks for the quick response. Here is the link for Speccy:

http://speccy.pirifo...htTCwPGUuQNmFdh

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks hazard and musikman respectively  :thumbsup:

Plenty of free space on the HDD which was my initial thought so next can you remove AVG free, it is a known resource hog and is no longer considered as one of the best AVs

Uninstall AVG using the proper removal tool from here

Then do the following: Scroll to the bottom of the page, Under Home click on All Products and Special Offer > Scroll down to avast! Free Antivirus and then click on the download tab to the bottom right. http://www.avast.com/en-gb/store

Once done restart the computer and see how it performs, if it is better please do follow the suggestion made by hazard as it is one of the steps that is used along the way to check and improve system performance and stability.

AVG scheduler will be one of the things slowing the computer down btw. 

musikman

musikman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

I'm in the process of uninstalling AVG and installing Avast... I was able to uninstall AVG, booted back up but wasn't able to obtain a network connection. I clicked on "Shutdown" and it's been stuck on the "Shutting down..." screen for about over 5 minutes now. 

I'm on a different laptop because I'm having some connection problems with my Toshiba, which is another issue I was hoping to get a little help with.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

The shutdown screen hanging like that usually means that a program or process that doesn't want to exit/close. I'd give it 15 minutes total before being worried about it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Alternatively Ctrl Alt Del to see if Task Manager opens and names the culprit.

musikman

musikman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

So far I've uninstalled AVG, have not yet installed Avast and I do not see any performance improvements.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Then install Avast! so that you will still have an antivirus and try my suggestion of doing a clean boot. If it's still a no go, we'll try something else.

Advertisements

musikman

musikman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Well... installed Avast, did a clean boot by unchecking everything in the Startup menu and I'm still having serious speed and connection issues.

What next?

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Can you copy and paste the results of your performance report?

EDIT: Just for the sake of clarity you're running the free versions of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, correct? Not the full/trial versions?

Edited by hazard209, 16 November 2014 - 11:13 AM.

musikman

musikman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Yes I'm running the Free version of Avast. 

BTW, What performance report are you referring to??

musikman

musikman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Is there any way I can run a hardware diagnostic tool so I can see if there's something wrong?

I tried doing a system restore but it only shows one restore point which is this morning. I did check the "show previous dates" box but it only gives me one.... from this morning.  :upset:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Looking like a hardware issue, this includes overheating as well.

Back up all important data off the hard drive as a precaution because testing a HDD can cause a flaky one to fail, let us know when everything is backed up or if there is nothing that needs backing up.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)