Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1, slow boot problem

• Please log in to reply

Chatt

Chatt

• Pip
  • 6 posts

4 days ago, my hp g6 laptop started booting pretty slowly (6 minutes), I have tried a lort of things, cleaned the junk files, cleaned the registry, serched for viruses and malwares, switched from online to local account, even updated my graphic drivers, but nothing seems to work. I've searched eveywhere but can't happen to find a solution.  Does anybody have a solution  ?

Edited by Chatt, 16 November 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Advertisements

Chatt

Chatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Nobody ?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Chatt,

Did some of essential things, cleaning up history, temp files on PC. Registry i would not advise to clean as this will not speed up your PC and most likely cause more harm then good.

Right click task bar select Task Manager, go to startup tab see what starts up when PC boot, try to eliminate some processes, definitely affect boot up time.

Defrag Hard Drive or Trim Solid State drive. Keep Windows up to date. Other drivers may be out of date, not just graphics driver, Windows update should find most, may need to go to you PC manufacturer's website under support of your model. RAM since i do not know how much you have can be cause if a lot programs are starting up at boot, but will also cause slow PC in general. Low hard drive space can be an issue too.

Try run System File Checker at Adminstrator command prompt, right click windows icon on bottom left of desktop screen, select it there, type   sfc /scannow   < exactly as shown, copy and paste if you need to.

Edited by jds63, 16 November 2014 - 05:08 PM.

Chatt

Chatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Already did all you've said ^^, didn't change anything

Edited by Chatt, 16 November 2014 - 05:15 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Did you disable any startup items, was there a lot or no, had to ? Question when this started getting this way, did you recently add anything, drivers or software.

Are you fully updated to Windows 8.1 update 1 all other updates ? You did not get any integrity violations in SFC ?

If all is true, you did all, tried all, then try posting in Malware removal here, let them make sure there is no source of infection as there resources are better then your scan may prove.

Edited by jds63, 16 November 2014 - 06:43 PM.

Chatt

Chatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I did all the things you mentionned and i'm full updated to windows 8.1 update 1. I ran the sfc scan but it didn't say anything. 

I think that it started when I installed an app named stardock windows fx, it was buggy because i could'nt open my dekstop so I did a recovery, even though it failed, i managed to unistall the app. Since then, my pc is like this.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Which kind of recovery, refresh,reset ? If these failed meaning how, what did it show you on screen.

Try this at start button on desktop right click select Command Prompt (Admin)  copy and paste this in command prompt       dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Let it finish.

Bothersome why a recovery failed  if it was refresh or reset  some files must be corrupt wonder why system file check did not show anything. Do the above first, run it twice.

Always possible when you uninstalled this program still left files on PC and registry entries. Another good thing to use is System Restore, make Restore points when installing and uninstalling software or drivers.

Always revert from possible problems this way.

Which Anti-virus do you use ? Also try which on system Windows Malicious Removal Tool  at Run type MRT.EXE

As posted before might be good idea to post something in Malware removal here to rule out a possible infection of any kind as not one or so Anti-Viruses find everything.

Edited by jds63, 17 November 2014 - 12:57 PM.

Chatt

Chatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I meant system restore, sorry for my bad english, my pc options are in French. After i dit the restore, it told me that it it failed because of the antivirus even though  i had off. I'm gonan try what you told and keep you tuned

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I meant system restore, sorry for my bad english, my pc options are in French. After i dit the restore, it told me that it it failed because of the antivirus even though  i had off. I'm gonan try what you told and keep you tuned

O.k. might be something in anti-virus settings need to be turned off for System restore to work well, might be some kind of tamper protection, like product protection. Norton's has this.

Chatt

Chatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I gave up on finding a solution without losing anything, so i refreshed my pc. It went back to windows 8 and worked fine. I've just reinstalled 8.1 and it seems to be working, i'll keep tuned if anything changes

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Chatt,

O.k. doing a refresh would be a last resort option is most cases were corrupt files can not be fixed with System File Checker or DISM command i gave you. Not sure if system restore is working properly yet, i would test that also, it is good to use this as it can help you revert back to earlier time when PC did not have the problem rather then doing a refresh because with this you will loose all added software, drivers and updates you already had on system .

Be careful on certain software you choose to put on and try make sure have a restore point before you do in case of issues. Do research of software well.

After you put all windows updates back on i would suggest you doing a chkdsk on main C: Drive .  At  Command Prompt (Admin)    Copy and Paste        chkdsk c: /f /r

This will take an hour or more so do it when you are not using PC for awhile. This will check and fix files on the drive, check for any bad sectors on drive and if health is good, may possibly been causing you issues.

You can post result here for us to look at it, this way  

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

2. In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

3. You will now have a CHKDSKResults.txt file created on your desktop that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Then can run DISM again  at admin command prompt         dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Also SFC   same admin command prompt       sfc /scannow

As far as a virus, adware or spyware i am not certain if there was any, why i originally asked to post in Malware removal here. Let's see how it runs for you in coming days, post back if need help.

Just go through same order of doing Disk Cleanup, removing unwanted Startup Programs, defragging and windows updates and hardware drivers updates for system which now will be lost in doing a refresh.

Edited by jds63, 18 November 2014 - 04:56 PM.

approveme

approveme

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Scan for viruses. Boot up in safe mode and do it if you can't do it on the normal windows desktop.