Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can visit ONLY Facebook

• Please log in to reply

danatbird

danatbird

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Friend emailed me asking for help.  She says the only web site she can access if Facebook, and her email.  Nothing else works.  She said she's using Firefox.  If she tries to use IE, once she clicks the icon, it tells her it can't load the page.  Then she said that it will let her access google (using Firefox) and do a search, but that she can't visit any of the sites that the search returns.  The browser times out.

I've never encountered behavior quite like this before.  This is a new computer, she's only had it a few months.  It's a Dell, so it came with the McAfee anti-virus software.  I doubt I could talk her through checking to see if it's turned on.  The OS is Windows 8.1.

She lives 20 miles away, and this is a rural area, so there isn't a lot of tech support available around her.  I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I drive to her house, especially since I'm not going to have an internet connection once I get there.

Advertisements

mikes2014

mikes2014

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi There,

Try uninstall both browsers from start, control panel, program and features, uninstall both firefox and internet explorer to do internet explorer when in program and feature go to view installed updates type in internet explorer uninstall next time you go to windows update you will have internet explorer again.

Sounds like she might have virus but without any other information its all I can do.

hope I helped!

danatbird

danatbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok, thanks. 

She just told me that the ISP now has a recorded message stating that they're having internet issues.  The ISP won't answer the phone, of course. 

We're going to hold off a little, to see if the ISP manages to resolve their issue. 

If she's still having problems after they claim it's fixed on their end, then we'll try your suggestion.