Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

first built pc wont work fans spin for 1 sec then stop (resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Pip
  • 7 posts

When I first built the macine it worked for about two weeks then stopped I sent the motherboard off and it came back with no problems, but when I plugged the psu back in the pc started working again. About 3 days later it stopped working again and I sent the motherboard this time they sent me a new one as the Mb was broken. When I got the motherboard back my pc worked for a month but again stopped working. I tried replacing the CPU fan in case it was overheating or the bios was not picking up the fan is spinning. It diligent do a thing.

System specs are:

cpu fan: cooler master hyper evo 212
CPU AMD Athlon II X4 651K 3.0GHz Quad-Core   Motherboard MSI A55M-P33 Micro ATX FM1   Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 £60.31 Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM £53.94 Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR £111.99 Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced ATX Mid Tower £73.04 Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V £59.98 Optical Drive Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive £10.78 Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £107.33 Monitor Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" £80.30 Keyboard Zalman ZM-K400G £16.67 Mouse Perixx Perimice-710 Wireless Optical  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   Muckdew,

First suggestion is to do a basic test of the PSU and then a barebones set-up outside of the case, for the latter see my canned text below and for the PSU see the video @  Corsair Video FAQ: How to test a Corsair power supply here

Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen. 
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

If the build is still unstable outside of the case, remove the hyper evo 212 cooler and use the one AMD provided, clean off the old thermal paste from the top of the CPU (see guide here) reapply thermal paste if the stock cooler that was shipped with your CPU does not have a thermal pad pre applied and while still outside of the case test the hardware again.

Let us know how it goes and any questions along the way please post.

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

i did a bare bones out of the case test when the problem arose the second time but it still didn't work with only the CPU, the PSU, the MB, and the CPU fan installed. i suspect that it is the CPU since i have already replaced the PSU and MB but i do not know. 

i have removed and re installed the bios battery several times with no prevail and i have tried using a jumper on the pins that clear the bios.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Test the PSU as shown in the video and swap the HS and cooling fan for the correct AMD one, while you do the latter it will give you a chance to inspect the CPU socket and pins.

If the CPU itself was bad it would never have worked from the outset + MBs, Ram, video cards and PSUs are more prone to failure than a CPU that has been fitted correctly, being incorrectly fitted includes the HS not being the correct one, the HS not being mounted as it should be (uneven pressure on the CPU itself causes instability) too much, not enough or badly removed/cleaned thermal paste and the CPU fan being connected to the wrong header on the MB.

Is your CPU fan connected to the 4 pin header that is located next to the Debug LEDs on the MB.

Are the onboard LEDs on the MB providing any error information.

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I have tested they power supply and it spun but then stopped after a sec

Does that mean that the problem is the psu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

It would suggest so!

Test the PSU as shown in the video and swap the HS and cooling fan for the correct AMD one, while you do the latter it will give you a chance to inspect the CPU socket and pins.

If the CPU itself was bad it would never have worked from the outset + MBs, Ram, video cards and PSUs are more prone to failure than a CPU that has been fitted correctly, being incorrectly fitted includes the HS not being the correct one, the HS not being mounted as it should be (uneven pressure on the CPU itself causes instability) too much, not enough or badly removed/cleaned thermal paste and the CPU fan being connected to the wrong header on the MB.

Is your CPU fan connected to the 4 pin header that is located next to the Debug LEDs on the MB.

Are the onboard LEDs on the MB providing any error information.

What about the other two questions  ;) 

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes the fan is connected in the right place as it is clearly labelled on the MB CPUFAN1

What is the less spots to be doing

Also if the PSU was the problem why didn't they find a problem the first time

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

When I first built the macine it worked for about two weeks then stopped I sent the motherboard off and it came back with no problems, but when I plugged the psu back in the pc started working again. About 3 days later it stopped working again and I sent the motherboard this time they sent me a new one as the Mb was broken. When I got the motherboard back my pc worked for a month but again stopped working. I tried replacing the CPU fan in case it was overheating or the bios was not picking up the fan is spinning. It diligent do a thing.

System specs are:

cpu fan: cooler master hyper evo 212
CPU AMD Athlon II X4 651K 3.0GHz Quad-Core   Motherboard MSI A55M-P33 Micro ATX FM1   Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 £60.31 Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM £53.94 Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR £111.99 Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced ATX Mid Tower £73.04 Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V £59.98 Optical Drive Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive £10.78 Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £107.33 Monitor Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" £80.30 Keyboard Zalman ZM-K400G £16.67 Mouse Perixx Perimice-710 Wireless Optical  

Just realised that I made a mistake when I sent something off the first time I meant the PSU not the MB

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes the fan is connected in the right place as it is clearly labelled on the MB CPUFAN1

Wow I am making mistakes all over the place its meant to be 'what are the LEDs meant to be doing' not 'what is the less spots'

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sorry but not sure what you mean.

Just realised that I made a mistake when I sent something off the first time I meant the PSU not the MB

The PSU has failed the most basic of tests that is suggested by Corsair themselves and so my suggestion is to contact them directly, see here

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I see we got a slight muddle.

Wow I am making mistakes all over the place its meant to be 'what are the LEDs meant to be doing' not 'what is the less spots'

We just need to know if after a failed boot or booting to the desktop, are any LEDS on the MB lit or flashing?

Did you test the PSU as Phillpower2 asked?

Are you still having problems?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Do you still need help or have you resolved your problem?   A update would be appreciated.

Theanks

Muckdew

Muckdew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Its all fixed thanks for the help

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for reply.   Great you have it fixed.

Your most welcome. :thumbsup: