Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full screen programs minimize and other programs lose focus ANNOYING

minimize minimizing lose focus random

• Please log in to reply

someshyguy4u

someshyguy4u

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

So for about 5 months now, my computer has been "randomly" minimizing my full screen programs and losing focus of my non full screen programs. It used to be random until I noticed that it happened at every 55th minute of the hour and every other 45th minute of the hour. I installed Razer Game Booster and that can block the 45th minute interruption, but the 55th minute interruption persists. I traced my installed programs back to around when this problem started and noticed that it was coincided with the installation of my printer software. I tried uninstalling all of the printer software, but I still had both interruptions. My brother also installed these programs on his desktop, which has the same problem (but I think he only has one interruption, not at the same time). I may not have done a full uninstall of the software, or it may be something else. I tried to put as much info as I can remember, but I'm sure there's more. Any help is appreciated - 5 months of playing LoL with this is slowly killing me.

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

Mouse27

Mouse27

• Pip
  • 3 posts

It sounds like an auto-update program is doing it. I usually see this issue with HP printers, but I've had Nvidea graphics card software do it once too. Minimizes/messes up everything that was full screen and *sometimes* it will give you the intended update balloon. Open your task manager and try manually killing the updates out of the service list [SERVICE not process list]. You *can* try changing the balloon notification settings on your taskbar but if it's an HP printer then that wont work. Let me know if killing it from the service list works. Past that, do you have rainmeter or anything like a widget or programs that run on your desktop at all times?

GL  :smashcomp:

Edited by Mouse27, 18 November 2014 - 01:29 PM.

someshyguy4u

someshyguy4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I think it is an auto-update program. I just can't find out which one it is. I have a Nvidia graphics card, Rainmeter, and 2 windows desktop gadgets running, but I've had all of those programs for at least a year before the problem started. I have an Epson printer. I don't see any update balloons when my screen is minimized, all I know is that it happens once an hour on the 55th minute. It's a bit difficult to sift through my services because I'm not exactly sure what it is that I should be looking for. I counted 189 services...needle in a haystack? Haha. What should I look for?

Mouse27

Mouse27

• Pip
  • 3 posts

It really is a needle in a hay stack at that point. I would close rainmeter and the gadgets first to see if that fixes it. A poorly scripted skin/gadget that checks the web for notifications/refreshes can do that. This would be e-mail notifiers/skins, news feeds, or weather maps. Also check for any browser extensions for desktop notifications on emails and disable the extensions if the rainmeter/gadget exit didn't help. Past that would be to go through the service list and close anything that says "update" on it one by one for process of elimination. Any services you kill will come back after reboot. The "losing focus" part makes me think it's not rainmeter or a gadget though and instead an application trying to give you a firewall or UAC prompt for authorization, usually being a program updating but on very rare occasions it's viral. 

someshyguy4u

someshyguy4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sorry for taking long to respond, it was crunch time at school. I had a couple of big exams to study for. I'm going to go through the services one by one (at least all of the ones that say update) and disable them. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for the help!