Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An IP from a system outside of home as the default gateway

routing networking default gateway internet

• Please log in to reply

Mouse27

Mouse27

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So my network started acting odd and when I checked ipconfig it stated two default gateways of 192.168.0.2 (router) then 174.96.96.1. This second one is the IP for a hub/TWC-server a few towns over from me. My modem is in bridged mode with no errors on log and network is setup static on all devices without conflict. Internet stayed functional on all pings with all systems during this. The issue that I had noticed was that I could no longer see this specific system on my local network. I've worked IT for a long while and I've never seen an IP to an external system listed as a default gateway. I disabled then re-enabled the adapter and it cleared the issue in exception to the error "Some of the controls on this property sheet are disabled because one or more property sheets are already open" when trying to check the adapters settings. I'm sure that will be cleared with a reboot though. So I'm not really looking for a fix here but rather just trying to figure out why a system outside of my network would list as a default gateway randomly like that. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but with a modem in bridged mode, the system disappearing from the local network, internet functional, BUT a default gateway of the regional routing hub server; Doesn't that technically mean my computer thought the region was it's local network? Is this a router, modem, or regional hub issue?

Attached Thumbnails

• gateway.jpg

Advertisements