Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REINSTALLING QUICKBOOKSPRO2001

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I'VE FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE A PROCESS TO GO THROUGH TO GET THE BACKUP OFF THE CD BUT CANNOT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO EVEN GET BEYOND INSTALLING.

1) I am reinstalling because I had to reinstall my Windows ME OS

2) After several attempts and inquiries, i obtained and down loaded QBPro2001 Updates

3) I am not given an option of RE installing as the installation guide that came with the software.

4) Immediately, there are 2 sample businesses to "try out" the software. Not interested in this phase, of course

5) The options I have under "file" are to open a new business or an old one. when i opt to open an old one i get one of the two sample businesses. When i say that i want to open a new business it immediately goes into express or custo set up and starts asking for all the company information, etc.

6) How will this reconcile with doing a restore????

signed - at my wit's end
My client's work is piling up very quickly- it has been at least a month getting back up and going.

what would have happened if i had a virus- could it have been even worse?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
quicken has some very good customer support. you might have to pay something for it, but at this point it would be well worth it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi headwayne...Welcome to G2G!

I have 2 computers on my bench right now and each has a different version of Quickbooks Pro (one has QB 99 and one QB 2003) Both versions offer a "restore" function under the "File" menu.

Do you have a viable back-up stored on a floppy or elsewhere? If you do, put it in the appropriate drive, choose the "restore" function, navigate to the file you want, choose it, and click "Open".

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Thank you. Do I have to do anything to the CD first?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
headwayne,

I'm assuming you have already reinstalled your quickbooks...correct?

If your back-up file is on a cd (should be a QBB or QBW file type), just put the cd in in your cd-rom drive, navigate to it from the restore function under the File menu in Quick Books and click open. It should restore your company info and open the company in the application.

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
don't know what happened to my reply. Well I tried that and was not given an option of opening anything. It just had a window with to and from and regardless of what i put into those windows it would not progress any further. on one occasion it said that the drive was not ready. The light comes on to the drive but nothing happens. One time it said it could not read the data.
When I had to reinstall the OS,of course, everything like the Adaptec CD creator had to be reinstalled. That is what I used to create the back up CD. Now, it won't reinstall. I guess that is built in so you have to buy a new one if this re install challenge hits one. I thought maybe I could copy the data from my backup with it by copying the cd to the QUICKBOOKS.
I know that was probably grasping at straws anyway.

Anymore suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
headwayne...

To avoid any confusion, lets take this problem one step at a time.

1) Is your Quickbooks program installed on this machine, and does it open?

2) Does your computer recognize your cd-rom drive? (You might try a couple of different cd's to see if they will open)

3) What kinds of data to you have on the cd you are trying to get the back-up from?

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Yes, QBPro is in the computer.

When i tried to re install the Adaptec CD Creator, it seemed to work but the program is apparently set up to only allow me to have it the one preinstalled time it came with.(don't know why they gave me the CDs if they wouldn't let me re install)

the data I am trying to restore with is the backups that I made when I finished my day a month ago.

the next day the computer went wacky and Dell helped me do a ME OS reinstall.

Since then a new challenge everyday.

Oh by the way, I did get the updates from QB and it still says that my data is from a newer version and can't be used.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again...

Do you have access to another computer that CAN read the back-up cd? If you do, find the back-up file on that machine and copy it to a floppy. Then follow the earlier guide for restoring the data from floppy through the file menu.

Let's get your data restored to Quickbooks, then we'll tackle the drive issue.

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I'll check around.
Thanks - the pile of work for the QBPro is getting taller and taller.

My client asks every morning if I am back on yet.

One more thing- the update that I got from QB - I do not know how to get them to where I want them. I've tried a little bit of everything. I think my brain is gettting smooth and nothing is making sense anymore. I know that has to happen before anything else will work, also.

Edited by headwayne, 13 June 2005 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey headwayne,

Did you download your updates from the Quickbooks Update Service using the "Online" menu in Quickbooks, or off the website and having trouble installing them. Usually the Update Service within Quickbooks does things pretty automatically.

Know what you mean by the "smooth brain" I'm feeling a bit like like today myself.... :tazz:

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I went to the updates site to do it manually.
My own original QB was routinely updated so the backup is updated but the original Program CD's are not updated. so, I was told that I needed to do that but don't seem to be able to make that happen.
I have decided I am a computer user like I am a cardriver.- just want to put the key in start it and go. This has not been that sort of process at all.
I haven't decided what this challenge is trying to teach me, yet.
I really appreciate all of you intelligent folks hanging in there with me.

Edited by headwayne, 13 June 2005 - 06:42 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
headwayne...

Seems like every little computer problem has a big headache in it's hip pocket, doesn't it? :tazz:

Try letting QB update itself and see what happens. With the program open, click "Online" and choose "Quickbooks Update Service" and just follow the prompts...it's pretty automated...just put the keys in and go. Hopefully it will apply the updates you are looking for.

Did you find another computer that could read your back-up cd? If another machine can read it, we'll need to figure out why your cd-rom won't. Fortunately, hardware is a little more straight foreward than software...that is, once we know for sure there is a problem. Right now it's about 50-50...could be the drive or the disk...let's eliminate the disk.

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
The person who could ck my cd wasn't available when i called and will not be until sometime tomorrow.

I have tried to get it to update that way thinking it would give me the list of updates that I need and I could select them and let it do its thing. wouldn't even list anything as being available when I told it to get updates.

I told it that I have dsl instead of dial up so that shouldn't be the problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy....

Did you Click the "Go Online" button? It doesn't give you a list to choose from, it just downloads and updates all in one shot. The updates aren't applied until you shut the program down. I just ran the Update Service on my machine...it took about 15 seconds.

While you're still there, try this...right click on My Computer and choose "Properties"...then choose the "Device Manager" tab. On the list, click the "+" next to the cd-rom drive (if there is a +...if there isn't, just right click on the drive and choose "Properties" again. In the box about half-way down the resulting window, see if it says "The device is working properly". (Make note of the name and model number of the drive, too...we may need that later.

wannabe1