Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REINSTALLING QUICKBOOKSPRO2001

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I took my back cd's to the CPA and they were able to open them. They are on QBPro 2004 and 2005. So, I purchased the 2005 so I will be current with them. Well, now I am encountering problems trying to install this program in my Windows ME. THe message is that it is not a valid installation pkg and to ck with Windows to see if that is the case. What now? $240.00 less the $100.00 rebate coupon later I am getting ill again.
I tried to locate a 2004 before making the purchase but no luck.
Do you think the QB folks would trade with me????

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
headwayne...Welcome back.

The first thing to try is to go to the windows update page (Start > All Programs (Top left portion of the menu) and Select the link for custom install. Make sure that you have the latest update for the .Net Framework 1.1. There have been known issues regarding this.

Let the updates page scan for available updates. When it is finished, click the link on the left side of the page "select optional software updates" and see if there is an update for .Net Framewaork available...if there is, install it and try to install your QB2005 again.

You might be able to find even more answers by visiting this link:

http://[email protected]

Also...you might try Microsoft's e-mail support...it's free and the folks there are usually very responsive to installation issues.

Let me know if you continue to have problems.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 June 2005 - 01:58 PM.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
thanks for continuing to lend a hand.
So far, I haven't had any response form microsoft.
Have been cking QB. They certainly weren't very happy to hear from me when I called. Maybe the email address you provided will be more beneficial.

Thank you,again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I did ck out the updates. It is there from when I first got going with the OS re- install

Edited by headwayne, 16 June 2005 - 05:35 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi headwayne...

Think I've finally gotten to the bottom of this frustrating problem. I've worked on machines running quickbooks with Windows 95, 98, 98SE, XP Home, and XP Pro. Notice anything missing? No ME.

I did a bunch of googleing and found that Quickbooks 2005 (and several other versions) won't run on ME. If you take a look at the minimum system requirements on their website (Link Below) you'll notice that ME isn't listed. :tazz:

http://quickbooks.in...000000007974903

With as much time, effort, and money as you have expended on this problem, you might consider upgrading to Windows XP...It's a far better operating system than ME in all respects. (Never have been an ME fan) An upgrade to XP home can usually be found for a little less than $100.

You will want to check your system specs before buying, though. You'll need at least 128 MB ram to run XP effectively and it likes the faster processors (300 MHz minimum)

I've learned a lot from your problem with quickbooks and only wish I could have known all of this before you posted. It will, however, really help out the next person who posts with a similar problem.

wannabe1

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Thank you. I have been in touch with Dell about whether or not my computer could support doing this upgrade and they said they think it is a good idea.

Thank you for all your prompt replies and ideas. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
headwayne...

It was my pleasure to assist you. I think you will have a much easier time with your whole computing experience once you get XP up and running.

If you have any further problems, Geeks To Go is always open!

wannabe1