Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to restore my PC (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

IanT68

IanT68

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi guys I hope you can help me.

Basically I want to restore my PC to factory settings but I don't seem to be able to. It's a Lenovo and I'm here as the recommended technique doesn't work. I get to the screen with the grass with the beads of water but instead of the restore options I get a window with the following:

Administratos: x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

x=\windows\system32>_

The cursor at the end blinks but aside from this nothing else happens. Massive thanks in advance for any help on this

Oh by the way if it makes any difference I have Linux Mint duel booted on my PC

Edited by IanT68, 18 November 2014 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: IanT68.

I hope you have backed up any Date you want as running the below command will total erase the drive and set it back to when the PC was first switched on. 

At the blinking cursor,  type, rstrui.exe then press enter. 

IanT68

IanT68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks iammykyl, I'll give that a go and yes I've backed everything up first :) :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

mchain

mchain

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Oh by the way if it makes any difference I have Linux Mint duel booted on my PC

Good chance you'll lose Linux Mint also if you proceed with factory restore of Windows.  If it survives, you'll have to fix the boot loader to get it running again, or better still, just install Mint again after you're happy with the way Windows is running, as a factory restore will likely remove it when Windows is clean installed again.

Did you backup your data on Mint too?

IanT68

IanT68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Sorry for the delay on the update. Still no luck. The command only gave me the option to restore to earlier date. In this case, a few days ago :( I did manage to get to a different screen via the f8 key on start up but there didn't seem to be an option to restore factory settings. Really baffled with this one

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you computer will boot to the desktop?

Click Start, > click Run,  copy and paste the bolded text inot the box, diskmgmt.msc > click OK.

When Disk Management opens, drag the right side of the window, right, so we can see all the details.

Please post a screenshot. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
If I may offer the following information while iammykyl is offline;

If you tried pressing F11 when the Lenovo logo was on the screen and it did not work it is possible that the Recovery Partition has been damaged or is no longer there, that is the info that iammykyl was looking for, see below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

IanT68

IanT68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks guys, here's my screenshot

DMSCREENSHOT1.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What model number is the Lenovo?

What OS (windows 7 Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, ???)

You said you wanted to restore to factory new state, right?

Use the Lenovo OneKey Recovery as follows:

OneKeyRec_zpsfc47d5a9.jpg

Advertisements

IanT68

IanT68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Okay I took a snap of the screen I was able to get to. F2 didn't do anything but F8 got me here.Oh and it's Windows 7 Home Premium. Not sure of the model number

20141122_205421.jpg

IanT68

IanT68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I can't get to any of the OneKey stuff I've heard lots about. The recovery only lets me restore to a few days back, no option to restore factory settings

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did you try pressing F2 as soon as you boot the computer and continue to tap it every second or so?

You didn't say what model number the Lenovo is.

If that doesn't work, follow Greg's tutorial: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

It tells you where and how to download a legal copy of Windows 7, how to prepare and do the clean install.

Just make sure you backup anything you don't want to lose first.

IanT68

IanT68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

That's great thank you so much. One last thing (sorry to be a pain) As long as I get the Windows 7 Home Premium can I still use the original product key that I already have on my PC tower?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Asking questions is never a pain.   Anything you are not sure of, always tell us.

As long as I get the Windows 7 Home Premium can I still use the original product key

Yes, providing that is the version of windows already installed.   Make sure to get the correct 32 bit or 64 bit to match your existing.