Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How disable Lenovo pc bloatware

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I just purchased a Lenovo H500s desktop pc for basic use.  It has a lot of bloatware installed by Lenovo.  Should I uninstall or delete these programs?  I can uninstall them in control panel, but I can't figure out how to disable them.  Some recommended going into Tools then Startup in Ccleaner and disabling the programs there, but none of these programs are listed there.  I have the latest version of Ccleaner installed.  Disabling then seeing if the disabling limited the computer's use in any way is safer than uninstalling. 

This is the list of what many consider bloatware installed on my H500s:

a. Baidu PC App Store
b. CyberLink MediaStory
c. CyberLink PhotoDirector
d. CyberLink PowerDirector
e. Lenovo Assistant
f. Lenovo Black Silk USB Keyboard Driver
g. Lenovo Browser Guard
h. Lenovo Photos
i. Lenovo Power2Go
j. Lenovo PowerDVD 10
k. Lenovo Reach
l. Lenovo Rescue
m. Lenovo SoftAp
n. Lenovo Web Start
o. LVT (Lenovo Vantage Technology)
p. Maxthon Cloud Browser
q. McAfee LiveSafe (trial)
r. Nitro PDF Reader

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 19 November 2014 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

aaaa44,

Can not really tell you for sure to delete any of your programs. All matters to what you use and do not use. Cyberlink software won't harm system to remove it, but if have use to have these programs keep them.

Research them on internet, same goes for Lenovo PowerDVD 10 Power2Go and Photos. Leave Lenovo Assistant, Silk USB Keyboard Driver, Guard and LVT. McAfee is a trial will expire soon so when it does can be removed unless you pay to extend it. Others not to sure of.

Always look within a program first in it's options to try to shut off it starting up or one of it's items starting up at boot first.Can not find what is starting up by also using Task Manager, right click task bar, select the Startup tab, disable what you want there. CCleaner go to Tools then select Startup, should show a list in the Windows Tab, if left click the startup select from Yes to No .

Hard for me to see exactly what youare seeing,you can even look in Notification area tell you also what is starting up, usually when you right click the icon there you can get to the Options of that program.

Since system is new to you, you should first get familiar with all programs before deciding to uninstall any of them that way can decide which to keep. If you want uninstall any this Program works well  http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Still can try to figure which to disable, sometimes a certain part of a program needs to startup or it will not work if it's disabled, why it is always good to research each one.Do not be to over anxious yet.

Good rule, make system restore points each time.

Edited by jds63, 19 November 2014 - 03:12 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi there,

Personally, I would add the Lenovo Browser Guard to what you want to uninstall. It is considered adware and is being detected as conduit/search protect. See here for more info.

Donna :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi there,

Personally, I would add the Lenovo Browser Guard to what you want to uninstall. It is considered adware and is being detected as conduit/search protect. See here for more info.

Donna :)

Thanks Donna, OP is MIA :alarm:

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I only deleted McAffee because I'm using AVG, the Windows firewall, and MBAM.  McAffee seems like a really annoying program because from what I remember it was taking a long time to startup and scan and always prompted an upgrade.  Advanced System Protector and Tuneup Pro look like a waste of space too for the same reasons.  Should I delete them also?  Should I keep Lenovo Solution Center?  I've decided to only delete McAffee for now, unless you think I should also delete System Protector, Solution Center or Tuneup Pro, because I don't know enough about the possible bloatware programs I listed and what I will need in the future.  

Edited by aaaa44, 03 December 2014 - 11:52 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

aaaa44,

Welcome back, hard for me to say what you should keep what you should not. Always research it online first that way you know more about it and if it is a worthwhile software to keep, sometimes some programs maybe tied into another. So before uninstalling anyone of them, make a system restore point first, case need to go back.

McAfee was a trial as you saw, so unless you upgrade and pay to extend it, it will end eventually.Never to crazy about McAfee myself.  Malwarebytes is a great secondary  malware scanner and or if buy premium version. How did you uninstall McAfee, most of these Anti-Virus leave many remains behind ? Good program for uninstalling software is Revo Uninstaller, check for remains of files and registry entries http://www.revouninstaller.com/

As for Advanced System protector i believe do not need this, since having AVG and MBAM. See it here http://powerbundle.systweak.com/asp/

Now for Tuneup Pro not much seen on this even rated as anything worthwhile as see here not telling it's good  http://malware-detec...all-tuneup-pro/

Lenovo Solution Center may be worth keeping, again users choice to uninstall it, but may or may not help you with future issues with your system, since it is company software  http://support.lenov...uments/pd022501

Donna stated about uninstalling browser guard, her reasons were shown why.

Get yourself this program to help clean system, better then most and free http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Can also use CCleaner to disable unwanted startup items which i believe will still cause you some slowdowns if you keep some of this bloatware, most do not need them starting up everytime you boot your PC.

True they do give you alot of software from Lenovo assume most customers are not sure what to make use of and what not to. Need more help post back.

Bugbatter

Bugbatter

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 341 posts
  • MVP

Hi all,

If there are questions about Lenovo pre-installed software, posting on their forum might receive replies from other customers who have had experience with some of these apps -- pro or con.

Some of the software that customers have not found useful, including Lenovo Browser Guard, may no longer be pre-installed on new systems. Customer discussions in OEM communities is one way that the brands can become aware of the preferences of customers.