Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my pc sounds like there is something running when there isnt it it is

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Could you run seatools available here http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/

After SeaTools loads, the screen will list the different storage devices in your system.
Select the drive you would like to test by making a check mark in the box next to the drive information.
This screen also displays information about the drives such as the Model Number and Serial Number.
The blue serial number indicates the boot device.
You may select more than one drive at a time for testing.
Multiple drives will test simultaneously.
You may also start tests on other drives after other tests are already running.

Be sure to choose the correct drive!

Select the Tests to Run

A menu of the possible diagnostic tests is shown.
With the exception of Long Generic which offers the option to repair sectors on USB external drives, all other Basic Tests are data safe, read only tests. Select the tests that you would like to perform.
The test will begin immediately.
Fix All Fast and Fix All Long also do sector repair on Seagate supported SATA drives.

These tests include:

• Fix All Fast and Long, requires confirmation to begin
• SMART Check
• Short Drive Self Test 20 to 90 seconds long
• Drive Information can be saved to the Log file
• Short Generic three-part test
• Long Generic progress in 1% increments, sector repair option for USB external

Advertisements

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

is this what you wanted I did the smart check and the short drive self test and it passed both......................

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you download and run speedfan from this location, it is an earlier version http://www.majorgeek...speedfan,1.html

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

ok what do i do with it its on right now 

Edited by tuufulhundin, 26 November 2014 - 05:11 PM.

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

now i keep getting this message when trying to send an email...........................

Sending of message failed.
Unable to open the temporary file C:\Users\PETTIT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\nsmail.tmp. Check your 'Temporary Directory' setting.

then i try again and it works fine

Edited by tuufulhundin, 26 November 2014 - 05:57 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you screenshot speedfans first page please as I would like to see how the temperatures are running

Is the temp problem happening all the time or just a one off ?

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I dont think I ever said I had a temp problem, I cant screenshot as I cant remember how to, my hubby can do it later when he gets back home from his job ( 4 hours away), its thanksgiving here today, so I have to go cook for 6 years to make too much food...........

i ran speed fan the HDO started at 24c now is 25c 

cores 0-3 are all running between 28c and 38c with a blip on core 3 that went up past 40c 

tracking from 8.17 am til now

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm starting to run out of ideas now but I will check around to see what I can find

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Hello, and thanks for your help thus far, this is hubby now, the noise my wife was hearing was the DVD drive running every now and then because there was a disc in it, eject the disc the noise goes away.  The slow response continues to persist though, and we  discovered that Chrome was having issues, even though it was the most up to date version, when ever we tried to sign into our bank account the we kept getting incorrect password that worked just fine on IE, so we uninstalled it.  This computer is about 3 years old and was a refurb when we got it, is there any possibility of the motherboard starting to have issues and if so how do I go about testing it?  Also as a side note, it is a touch screen computer and when using the touch screen specific programs it seems to bog down even more.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Duh I really must learn to check the obvious :)

With regards to the motherboard, it is one of those elements that either goes in the first few weeks or continues on until the end (unless you drop the computer or put water in it)

With regards to the slow response is that at start up, when you are using programmes or both ?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For the touch screen does this occur after you fist open it or after you have used several touch applications

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

hubby is the one who uses the touch screen I am old school, the program he is on about particularly is  touchsmart magic canvas which is open right now and does seem to be making things at present a little boggy, however having said that he hasnt even used it for ages, I use the touch screen to tap in my pin on my bank sign in, but had pretty much forgotten about the touchscreen features other than that.

With regards to slow response, not so much at start up more when using programs, mainly accessing internet, pages turning or taking forever to load, causing problems using utube etc, then wonder if its the culprit with regard to buffering with prime, netflix or hulu all of which we use, although mainly on the TV.

We are wirelessly connected if that helps......

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you recently defragmented the hard drive as that can be a cause of slow opening programmes
Also the touch screen apps do not actually close when you close them. they still run in the background

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Its on auto defrag and was done a couple of days ago

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Streaming video will cause a degree of sluggishness however, you do have a lot of RAM so that should not be a problem

What we could do next is run a clean boot and see if there are any conflicting services

In the search box type Msconfig and select the programme that appears at the top

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
Cleanboot1.JPG
2.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
NoteThe Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
3.Click the Services tab.
4.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
cleanboot2.JPG
5.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6.Now replace the ticks for your antivirus
7.When you are prompted, click Restart.

Does the lagging still occur