Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slow in loading

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

My computer loads websites very, very slowly. This started happening about a week ago. I don't know if it has anything to do with my cable company TWC. I have had trouble before that with watching a video, they would start and then stop, could not watch a clip straight through. 

With websites even my home page yahoo, it will load but then the little connecting circle will keep moving around. I have Windows 7 and this is an HP laptop. I have MSE, Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster.  No malware on my scans.  My browser is Firefox. I tried Safe mode and IE and it is the same thing, slow. Thanks.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, considering you already suspect (As I do) your internet connection itself via your ISP or cable company, it is easy to check that with a speed check.

Go to this website and run a speed test. Be aware that if you are not using some form of advert blocker, there are adverts tempting you to click on them, please don't, just run the speed test.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Let us know the result and if it is much lower than the download speed your cable company says it should be.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

May i interject ? That speedtest page is probably going give OP same slow connection to be able to even try to test it.

Try to troubleshoot the network adapter.

Open the Internet Connections troubleshooter by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Network and Internet, click Connect to the Internet. Also right click Network icon on notification area and select  troubleshoot.

Try resetting both browsers too.

Edited by jds63, 20 November 2014 - 04:14 PM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

When I went to the page for the speed test, everything didn't load and the little circle that shows when you are trying to connect keeps circling and flashes. When I clicked on troubleshooting to connect to the internet it says it couldn't identify a problem, same answer when troubleshooting network adapter. I can't play any video clips at all. It loads quickly on startup, but it hangs up and doesn't load everything when on a website.

How do I reset a browser? Also could it have something to do with flash player or Adobe. Sorry I am not totally computer savy.

Edited by msbug, 20 November 2014 - 05:14 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

msbug,

Is it just videos or any pages load slow ? Resetting Firefox will loose option settings so will have to redo those. In Help on Menu bar, select Troubleshoot information then be at top right, click Reset Firefox. If Menu bar not showning try pressing Alt on keyboard.

In IE in Control Panel select Internet Options,on first Tab Delete History, then on the Advanced Tab select Reset, then O.K. and O.K. again.

This may or may not help, was an option. Safe mode will disable any add-ons or extensions to possibly rule out those causing issues which you tried. How is computer running in general ?

If computer runs good not slow, think of contacting Internet service provider. Use Dsik cleanup or whatever else have to clean history and cache of browsers, both.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

It will load but the little circle at that top will keep circling and flashing. I can't access any games on facebook, can't play any video clips from a news article. For example, I clicked on an article that included the video and nothing showed up. When I click on jib jab to do a card it won't open to video. I was wondering if my adobe flash maybe was causing it. I don't understand why the connecting circle keeps flashing next to my pointer when I click on a website, like not everything is loading. In my programs, I have Adobe air, adobe flashplayer 15 plugin, adobe flashplayer 15 active x, adobe reader mui 95.5, adobe shockwave player 11.5, adobe shockwave player 12.1. As I am typing this, the pointer with the connecting circle is flashing.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Regardless of anything on your computer, which I now doubt anyway, I suggest you have a word with your internet service provider, everything you have told us suggests it is their problem, not yours.

Nev.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

so not being able to load some of the video or image content and the flashing of the connecting circle has nothing to do with my flash player? I guess I will call TWC tomorrow.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

This is where I am this morning. my computer loads quickly during start up. I get on yahoo, my homepage quickly. When I click on a website it will load, but the connecting circle keeps rotating. I can't play any videos at all. This only started happening a week ago. My connection shows excellent. The pointer sometimes has the connecting circle constantly flashing. If this is TWC I will call them today. Would it be my cable connection  with what is happening?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Is everything else on the computer OK speed wise, programs load and run OK etc?

If yes, there is something a bit odd with your connection and maybe an engineer from the cable company can sort it from their end.

However, just something worth a try would a be system restore to a time previous to last week and see what happens. Do you know how to use system restore? let us know if not sure.

Nev.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

It's not Time Warner. I got a new Modem. My sisters computer is fine, she can play video's from you tube or news stories and loads fine. My computer is fine when I start up, reach my homepage and then when I click on something or search for something, it will load, but the connecting circle is still swirling at the top and the circle by my pointer is flashes quickly. I cannot play a video from you tube, it will be blank, I can't play a video from a news story and I can't play a game on facebook any longer. Why does the connecting circle keep flashing and running even after a page loads? It has to be something with my computer. Firefox or flash player maybe. I am not overly computer savy so I don't know what to do.

I was researching why the blue circle keeps flashing. One suggestion was look in task manager processes. I see dwm.exe. When I looked that up one article said it has to do with vista and if you don't have vista it could be a virus. Is that true. I did scans and nothing came up. What can I do.

Edited by msbug, 21 November 2014 - 02:29 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It will load but the little circle at that top will keep circling and flashing. I can't access any games on facebook, can't play any video clips from a news article. For example, I clicked on an article that included the video and nothing showed up. When I click on jib jab to do a card it won't open to video. I was wondering if my adobe flash maybe was causing it. I don't understand why the connecting circle keeps flashing next to my pointer when I click on a website, like not everything is loading. In my programs, I have Adobe air, adobe flashplayer 15 plugin, adobe flashplayer 15 active x, adobe reader mui 95.5, adobe shockwave player 11.5, adobe shockwave player 12.1. As I am typing this, the pointer with the connecting circle is flashing.

I thinking does have to do with Flash Player problem as this seems be very common problem with most. Most of problems you do get are related with videos and games on internet which will use these plug ins.

I suggested to reset the browser, you tried it in Safe mode and same happened kind of ruled out other plug ins or extensions causing issues.

Question, why all different Adobe 11.5,12.1, 15 ? Only need one Shockwave. Either delete (uninstall all ) install latest Adobe flash. In Firefox Menu bar under tools select Add ons, go to plug in should be Shockwave Player 15.0.0.189 .            11.5 and 12.1 are old versions of Adobe flash.  https://support.mozi...plugin-manually

Something possibly with settings of browsers, try first uninstall those Adobe flash, all of them, then reset both browsers as shown. Then download latest flash player. http://www.adobe.com...re/flash/about/

Do you clean history from browsers and you system regularly, good program is this one  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Nev. was also stating how your sytem is running in general if slow you feel, use task manager and check Startup tab, try eliminate some processes not needed if too many. DWM.EXE is Desktop Windows Manager, window manager is one that gives you all those pretty effects in Windows Vista and 7, transparent Windows, Aero effects.Why uses a lot of memory or resources. Be up to you to disable to Basic theme. Mattering to amount of RAM how much is running can slow down PC even Videos on Internet and games. But if system running good, then this may not be issue causing internet, but more above mentioned.

Edited by jds63, 21 November 2014 - 03:27 PM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

THANK YOU! I uninstalled all the flash players, reinstalled the one you gave and the blinking has stopped and I am able to watch videos. Everything works now and with the new modem, it's much faster. I appreciate your help jds63.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

msbug,

Your most welcome, i am glad all is well. :yeah: