Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to download anything! Please help!

Chrome Windows 7 Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I don't see an attachment.  Following procedure will search your \windows and subfolders for avg files:

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run As Admin.  Yes. Type with an Enter after each line:

cd  \windows
dir  /a  /s  avg*.*  >  \junk.txt

(will take a while for this to finish.  Wait for the prompt to return then: )

notepad  \junk.txt

I used two spaces in the above so you can see where one space goes.

Advertisements

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

My apologies, here's the attachment! And the log from cmd!

Volume in drive C is OS
 Volume Serial Number is B845-7168

Directory of C:\Windows\Prefetch

12/03/14  10:25 AM            15,516 AVG_REMOVER_STF_X86_2011_1184-3AF0BAAE.pf
               1 File(s)         15,516 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

09/01/11  11:50 PM    <DIR>          avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26

07/12/10  03:34 AM            57,696 avgfwd6a.sys
07/14/10  08:15 AM             7,821 avgfwfd6.cat
07/12/10  03:34 AM             5,265 avgfwfd6.inf
09/01/11  11:50 PM            10,376 avgfwfd6.PNF
               4 File(s)         81,158 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               5 File(s)         96,674 bytes
               1 Dir(s)   3,665,555,456 bytes free

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The attachment didn't show again.  The forum software is kind of funny.  It's a two step process.  First choose the file and click on Open then click on Attach this file.

Looks like the only avg files are in a folder in the driver store so probably not active but let's FRST remove them anyway.

Attached is another fixlist.txt file.  Save it to where FRSt is and then run FRST and hit Fix.  Post the log.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Here is the log!

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 03-12-2014
Ran by Livsie at 2014-12-03 16:36:32 Run:3
Running from C:\Users\Livsie\Desktop
Loaded Profile: Livsie (Available profiles: Livsie)
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

Content of fixlist:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwd6a.sys
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwfd6.cat
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwfd6.inf
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwfd6.PNF
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26

Could not move "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwd6a.sys" => Scheduled to move on reboot.
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwfd6.cat => Moved successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwfd6.inf => Moved successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwfd6.PNF => Moved successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26 => Moved successfully.

=> Result of Scheduled Files to move (Boot Mode: Normal) (Date&Time: 2014-12-03 16:40:06)<=

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\avgfwfd6.inf_amd64_neutral_af63b8978046ec26\avgfwd6a.sys => Is moved successfully.

==== End of Fixlog ====

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I don't suppose if you go back to the registry and change it back to the default that you can download?

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Now that's weird...... I went back to regedit, followed the pathway of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments BUT I got as far as CurrentVersion and then I couldn't find Policies\Attachments, the only pathway is Explorer\Browser Helper Objects. What do you think happened?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Not sure but I have exported the two entries from my PC and created two .reg files.  Scanon.reg to turn on scanning and Scanoff.reg to turn it off.  Download and save both files to your desktop then you can toggle back and forth without regedit.  Just right click on the one you want and select Merge.  Probably should close the browser and reopen it to make sure it takes effect.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

So when I merged the scanon.reg file, I got the same error message, saying the Virus Scan Failed, but then I merged the scanoff.reg file, and now it's working again (I restarted Chrome both times).

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

So the problem still exists.  We are just hiding it with the registry change.  I wonder if it makes a difference which zone the file comes from?  Start, (Settings) Control Panel then Internet Options then Security then Trusted Sites, Sites.  Uncheck the Require Server Verification ... box.  Type *.gmer.net in the top box and hit Add then OK.  Now close the Internet Options and use the ScanOn.reg.  Now open your browser and go to   should start a download rightaway.  Does say it is infected too?

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

It does still say "Virus Scan Failed." Could it be an error in how the computer is processing the code? Falsely reading as infected?

My sincere apologies for the delay! Finals hit much harder than I expected on top of internet problems at my apartment.

Edited by Liv Scott, 14 December 2014 - 02:25 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'm seeing indications that MSE is still around.  Going back over your posts I see that the problem started about the time you removed it so let's see if the MSE removal tool can help.

Use IE and Go to and run the Fixit.  Then toggle the scanon and try a download.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I can't find IE on my computer! And when I went to download it again, it says that I have a more recent version installed so it won't install. Is there a way for me to remove IE entirely so I could re-install it and run the MSE removal tool?

MSE meaning Microsoft Security Essentials, correct? I had to download it and remove Avast because my apartment's wireless provider wouldn't recognize Avast as having up-to-date virus definitions. HOWEVER, I'm more than willing to remove MSE and download Avast again, see if they have fixed the problem

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Yes, MSE is Microsoft Security Essentials,  Didn't realize it is supposed to be there. 

I don't know what is happening.  I remember posting the URL but  it seems to have disappeared.  Try this one:

http://www.bleepingc...s-removal-tool/

and you don't need to use IE for it.  I expect you want the version 2 and higher tool.

For IE, try typing iexplore in the search box.  It should find iexplore.exe    It's in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

I definitely prefer Avast over MSE.  Microsoft has backburnered MSE and it is not even offered for Windows 8.   Instead they use a beefed up Windows Defender.

it's really getting weaker.  You need to complain to your apartment people if they won't accept Avast.  It's a much better anti-virus.

The Avast uninstall utility is at:

https://www.avast.co...install-utility

You really only want one anti-virus.  Two will fight each other.  As an experiment uninstall both, run both uninstall tools, reboot, run the scanon.reg and try to download something safe like Process Explorer:  http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe

Then install one and try the download again.  Does it fail both times?

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Okay so it won't let me access the internet at all unless I have antivirus installed. But I ran the removal tool on MSE and re-downloaded Avast, merged scanon.reg, restarted Chrome and attempted to download Process Explorer-still failed

I am definitely complaining to my apartment complex, I hate MSE! HOWEVER, it seems to be allowing me to use Avast for now, so some good news there.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Evil apartment building.  Never ran across one like that before.  

The only thing I have left is Process Monitor but its log files are pretty big.  If you have dropbox or similar you can upload the files and I can look at them and see if I can see what your sis doing differently from mine.

Scanoff.reg

Download Process Monitor http://live.sysinter...com/Procmon.exe to your desktop

Scanon.reg

Right click on procmon.exe and Run As Admin.

Quickly try to download a file.  As soon as the download fails, File, then uncheck Capture Events.  Once it stops,

File, Save, All Events, Format: Comma-Separated Values (CSV) then OK.  It should save the file to logfile.csv which should be on your desktop.  Close Process Monitor.

Scanoff.reg

Upload the file to dropbox and give me a link to it via a PM or email.  (Will send you a PM with my email address so you will have that if you need it)

Ron