Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recent 8 Updates play Havoc

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi gents, this was a problem with update KB3000850. It played havoc with some systems running Avast

PK a programmer at Avast said

We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works).
You need to install all available updates. Then you'll be able to install KB3000850. I had the same problem.

An emergency update was released yesterday.

The current solution for those affected is to uninstall KB3000850 this should revert the system back to normal
Run an update on Avast which will install the new driver
Then you can install the update again

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

ok, I am not that smart to do a wipe - would prefer to do the Avast idea.

It seemed like Avast was involved as it dissappeared and it was Avast that was telling me to update yesterday my Windows updates which I followed its orders.

So before I do this, do you think all the issues I am having is to do with Avast - having to open chrome and windows mail as administrator?

Also, I removed and re-installed Avast yesterday.......my system still isnt right. If it was Avast, then why is my system still not right?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When the update from MS was installed due to the way it handled the memory the update was corrupted
So if you uninstall the update the computer will behave normally again

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Ok, so can someone show me how to uninstall the offending update? 

Remember I told you that I did a system restore and my pc started working a bit better.

Thats changed now........My Windows Mail has frozen me out now and I cant even get in as administrator......all my office programs won't open either

I am hanging on by a thread here and all I have is access to the internett which if that goes I will not be able to come here and get it right.....

Can we proceed with something that works.....thanks...

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I cant get into "installed updates" through the control panel....

The other thing was that even though I have my power options set to shut down when I close the lid, my pc stayed awake all night...

Edited by ding dong, 22 November 2014 - 03:36 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

You can use the WSU command

Copy the following to a notepad file

@echo off
wusa /uninstall /kb:3000850 /quiet /forcestart
END

Save the file to your desktop as uninstall.bat.  Use the save as  type dropdown as all  

Right click uninstall.bat and select run as administrator

It should reboot having uninstalled that update

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Cant find notepad...dont think I have it?

Hang on...was able to get into latest updates installed....checking......

Found it 3000850...uninstalling now......its taking forever...

how long should I wait....the green bar just kept hanging....its not uninstalled....had to cancel...

Retrying..........nope......now its not even got a green progress line......just hanging....its dead....

Went into command prompt to remove......i think it did but cant get into windows update programs to check it if its gone...can someone help me get back in...not sure how I got in before...it wasnt through control panel.....

Edited by ding dong, 22 November 2014 - 04:55 PM.

techmantrey1

techmantrey1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Try again in safe mode

Guide to get into windows 8 safe-mode  http://www.howtogeek...8-the-easy-way/

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

trying this now....

Edited by ding dong, 22 November 2014 - 06:34 PM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Phew...back again....

Update: Thanks.

After a long and protracted effort of shutting down restarts and safe modes I have finally uninstalled the offending KB3000850 update.

I also uninstalled Avast and did a clean (meaning I am on here without protection)....

Everything seems fine except it has left my Microsoft Office Mail program unopenable.....it just hangs.....

ATM everything else seems fine but will let you know........

If anyone has an idea of how to fix my Mail program that would be cool as.....

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Avast can now be reinstalled as the driver has been updated, you can then follow up with re-installing the update

I was one of the lucky ones I had no problems at all but, I did install the two other updates first http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=44977

Capture.JPG

For mail you could look at this https://support.offi...&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Have re-installed Avasys latest edition.

Went to Windows update and looked in optional updates and there it was.....the dreaded KB3000850 lurking there.

My question is....is this update the old one that caused the problems of is this Microsofts new one that is harmless?

How can I remove this from the update list and then search for new updates getting the latest ones from MS?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

techmantrey1

techmantrey1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

If you just want to hide the update. Right click and select hide, however I thought he said avast released a patch that would fix this issue, so you should be able to install if I understand correctly.

Edited by techmantrey1, 23 November 2014 - 08:37 PM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

so the KB3000850 is harmless now?

I heard that it was corrupted and caused alot of issues?

techmantrey1

techmantrey1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Avast can now be reinstalled as the driver has been updated, you can then follow up with re-installing the update

I was one of the lucky ones I had no problems at all but, I did install the two other updates first http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=44977

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

For mail you could look at this https://support.offi...&rs=en-GB&ad=GB