Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen randomly goes black, can't do anything. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

ikazuchi

ikazuchi

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Relatively new PC (~6months old)

Randomly screen goes black (while using browser, playing game...) but PC is still works. Then I have to restart it manualy. This don't happen often, once a day max and totaly at random, sometimes after many hours sometimes after 15min.

What could be a problem?

Edited by ikazuchi, 22 November 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

techmantrey1

techmantrey1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

RAM, Drivers, Thermal Over-head (Heat) 

We can rule out Driver by Updating them on the manufactures website if applicable.

We can test the ram by running Memtest x86 Or by putting the system under a extreme load (prime95) Here is a guide for memtest http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Check device manager and see if any devices are reporting issues- Right click on my computer, Select manage, Select device manager. 

Report back after test. Thank you :) 

PS. have you seen any driver error messages pop-up or something like AMD-Nivida stopped working? 

Edited by techmantrey1, 22 November 2014 - 09:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello ikazuchi,

As the computer is only 6 months old it should still be covered by warranty, this would mean that running tests such as Memtest, Speedfan and HWMonitor will be fine but any problems that they may uncover would mean that the computer needs returning to the place of purchase to be repaired or replaced, if you start tinkering with any hardware you will void your warranty so be careful.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

ikazuchi

ikazuchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

PC is desktop custom build, not mine so I don't have all info about it.
MB: MSI970A-G43 (MS-7693)

CPU: AMD FX-4130

RAN: 2x4gb DCLT4GN128S

GPU: Sapphire AMD  Radeon R7 260X

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
PC is desktop custom build, not mine so I don't have all info about it.

Don`t mess with it and return it under warranty, safest option and you are welcome btw  ;) 

ikazuchi

ikazuchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you, will do!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Hopefully the warranty will ensure that the computer is soon put right and is up and running as it should be.