Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing problems in network

• Please log in to reply

sahmama_3

sahmama_3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,

I have been experiencing some problems while printing from the second computer connected to my wired network. THe main computer is on Windows XP home edition and the second is Windows 98 SE.

Sometimes, not every time, when I try to print from the second computer to the printer which is connected to the main one, it won't print at all. I go into the printer queque display box and it shows "error" under STATUS. The first time it happened, about 6 months ago, I did all the troubleshooting on both computers, and nothing helped until I finally rebooted the main computer. When it came back online, the printer worked fine and immediately printed without resending the document. Now, whenever it freezes like that I just automatically reboot the main computer.

When it does this I am able to continue working on both computers, except for printing. It does seem to freeze up the printing capabilities in both at the same time. Meaning I can't print from either until the main computer is rebooted.

It seems to happen more as the day goes on and the computer has been on longer.

I'm not sure what other information you might need to help resolve this.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks
Teresa

Advertisements

sahmama_3

sahmama_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz:

Any ideas---anyone????

----------
Teresa

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
First easy workaround to rebooting I think would be when the printer does not print, go to the XP computer that the printer is connected to and click "Start", "Run", and type services.msc press enter. Now scroll down the list until you find the service called Print Spooler. Now right click it and click "Stop" then click "Start". Try to print again. Also while you're in there double click the service and find out if it is set to automatic, disabled, or manual. Let me know.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: