Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get two portable monitors to show same image as main laptop mon

• Please log in to reply

peterglass

peterglass

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 laptop computer, with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 card in it.  Windows 7 Pro runs on the machine.  I recently purchased two portable monitors that run solely off the computer’s USB ports (no AC power is needed).  Both portable monitors seem to work fine.

I would like the two portable monitors to show the same image that is on my computer screen.  However, only one portable monitor does so.  The other portable monitor shows an extension of the image on the computer screen.  Using the “F6” key, I’ve tried all the combinations that come up.  I’ve also accessed the “Intel Graphics and Media” control in the Control Panel.  Nothing has solved the problem.  Do I need a new graphics card?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by peterglass, 22 November 2014 - 11:26 PM.

Advertisements

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

:welcome:

Hi,

Windows + P combination gives you the following options, from which you need to select Duplicate in order to see the same on a projector or another monitor.

Windows-2.jpg

Are you trying to connect both of them at the same time?

peterglass

peterglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I had tried "F6", which seems to be the same as Windows + P and had no luck.  I am trying to get the same image on all the monitors.  Thanks.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Try this:

1. Go to the Control Panel and change the "View by" setting in the top right corner to small icons.

2. Open the Display option.

3. Click the "Adjust Resolution" button in the left panel.

4. Select each additional screen and select the "Duplicate Displays" option.

Let me know if that helps.

Edited by hazard209, 23 November 2014 - 11:49 AM.

peterglass

peterglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I tried lots of combinations on the "Adjust Resolution" screen, but none of them solved the problem.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Have you tried plugging one screen in, adjusting the setting, unplugging it, then plugging in the second one and doing the same. Then  try plugging the first one back in.

peterglass

peterglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

That doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

The two monitors you bought, are they only USB or is there at least a VGA port and also one on the laptop?

If so, you could try running the two on a VGA splitter. May require some VGA leads as well.

Edit to add, I know VGA splitters should work, I have used them, however if only USB and no VGA ports, what I haven't tried, though might work is a two port USB hub. Someone else may know differently, but if a USB hub can be borrowed to try, nothing lost is there?

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 24 November 2014 - 02:38 PM.

peterglass

peterglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

No VGA ports, just USB.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Sorry, I added an edit while you were posting, have another look and see if USB hub might work.

Advertisements

peterglass

peterglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I thought that might work too, but it didn't.  The same issues exist.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Might not be possible in Windows 7?

http://answers.micro...7f-5e0d7df33e19

http://www.displayli...plicate display

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

first thing i'd do is go to the intel site and make sure i downloaded and installed the latest graphics driver for your hardware.

Three independent displays support two configurations: Extended desktop which provides a larger Windows desktop area spanning all displays, or clone where the same screen is shown on all three displays.

To enable extended desktop using Intel® Graphics Driver Properties:

1. From the Windows desktop, press Ctrl+Alt+F12 to open the Intel® Graphics Control Panel.
    Note For other methods to open the Intel Graphics Control Panel, see "How to open the Intel Graphics Properties window."
  2. After opening the Intel Graphics Control Panel, do the following to reach the Display settings:

With newer drivers, select Display:
    1.jpg

With older drivers, if prompted to select the application mode, select Advanced Mode and then click OK.
    2.jpg

3. Use the following steps to select multiple displays.

With newer drivers, click on the Display drop down menu and select Multiple Displays:
    3.jpg

With older drivers, select Multiple Displays:
    4.jpg

4. Set your Display Mode or Operating Mode to Clone or Extended Desktop.

5. Select your Active Displays by selecting the Primary Display, second, and third displays.

Note You must have three monitors connected to see all three dropdown menus.
  6. If setting Extended Desktop, arrange the displays using the steps below.

With newer drivers, use the Arrange Displays window. Use the mouse to move the displays in a different arrangement.
    5.jpg

With older drivers, use the Positioning window. Use your mouse to move the displays in a different arrangement.
    6.jpg

7. Click Apply to save changes.

8. Click OK to close the Intel Graphics Control Panel.
    7.jpg

http://www.intel.com...b/CS-033714.htm

Are three display configurations supported using a USB display?

No. Three display configurations are not supported using a USB display.

:popcorn:

can you provide a link to the usb monitors so i can check specs./compatibility/drivers for them.

Edited by terry1966, 25 November 2014 - 03:28 PM.

peterglass

peterglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Here is the information about the monitors (both monitors are identical):

AOC E1649FWU 16" USB-Powered Portable LED Monitor - Glossy Black
Sold by Amazon.com LLC .  Their website is www.aoc.com.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Cannot mirror more that 2 Displays in Windows 7 and Windows 8
ID: 283 - Updated: May 1, 2013 - Category: Configuration

Symptom
It is only possible to configure 2 displays to mirror in Windows Display Properties in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Problem
This is a limitation of the options in Windows Display Properties. No option is provided to configure more than 2 screens to mirror
wdp_clone_options.jpg

Solution
Currently there is no work around to this issue

http://www.displayli...cket.php?id=283

ok everything i can find on this says you can't mirror more than 2 displays regardless of what graphics solution you have, nvidia,ati or intel, when using usb displaylink monitors.

so if the extra displays need to be mirrored then i think i'd try setting one as the default display and then mirror the other to that, leaving the laptops display as the extended display (no idea if this is possible or not.), add a tool bar to the laptops display (might need 3rd party software.)

now you can start things running on the laptop screen and drag it across to the default monitor (if it doesn't open there anyway.) and it will be shown on both external monitors.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 26 November 2014 - 09:06 AM.