Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restore to factory settings

• Please log in to reply

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Just curious, do you have some type of external hard drive or usb drive that you could back up the files that you want to keep in the windows.old folder? Can you still boot into windows?

Advertisements

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

My son doesn't want to keep any files he just wants to restore to factory settings. I can boot it up into windows but a message comes up at the bottom of the screen to say I have been logged in with a tempory profile and the files cannot be used. If I then open OS (C:) the windows.old folder is there but nothings works properly. I tried to use the AlienRespawn program but nothing in there seems to work properly either, it said I need to have .NET Framework? 

Edited by dumfounded, 25 November 2014 - 07:42 PM.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

If you're just looking to restore everything to factory settings and not retain any files. It may be easier just to use the Windows 7 disc that came with your machine, format the drive, and reinstall Windows.

You do have a Windows 7 install disc and a serial number for Windows, correct?

Edited by hazard209, 25 November 2014 - 07:45 PM.

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

So if I reformat drive (C:) and then install using the disc that will work will it? I have been too scared to do that because i didn't know if that would work because when I have restored my VAIO laptop I used the restore facility on the machine which gives you back all the pre installed programs. 

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

All of the preinstalled applications should be available on the manufacturer's website with the drivers. You should be able to reformat the drive from within the Windows OS installer on the disc. Make sure you have a serial number for Windows 7 before going that route.

Drivers and Applications form Dell: http://www.dell.com/...are-x51/drivers

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

The disc that came with the computer says ALIENWARE MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM SP1

For distribution only with a new Alienware PC

Presumably the serial or product key will be on the machine as it is on the bottom of my laptop?

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

It's either on the machine or on the CD case, I believe. And by serial number I mean product key.

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Sorry to be completely thick but when you say reformat the drive from within the Windows OS installer on the disc does that mean I can't just right click on the drive and then click format?

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7

Scroll down to "Using the Custom Installation option and formatting the hard disk" and follow the instructions. 

And you're not thick, everyone has different levels of technological experience. Asking questions is the only way to completely understand what you're doing.

Edited by hazard209, 25 November 2014 - 08:20 PM.

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I take it you mean use the link on my son's computer not on this laptop?

Advertisements

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
You should click on the link in my previous post on your laptop and read the instructions so that you know how to format the hard drive on your son's computer using the Windows installation.

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you so much for your help, I'll get all the product codes I need and as it's nearly 3 in the morning here I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
A fresh start in the morning is a good call.

And you're welcome! Good luck!

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

It's taken me hours but I think I've done it. I let yself get hung-up on the fact that during the install I was never asked for the product code and also whenit finished installing I couldn't connect to the internet and everything looked more like Windows XP than anything else. Then my brain woke-up and I went onto the Dell web-site and entered the 'sevice tag' which gave me all the drivers I needed. I downloaded them onto an external hard-drive one by one, I then plugged the hard-drive into the desk-top and installed them onto it, I then restarted and low and behold it all appears to be as it should be. The only thing I haven't been able to install is a folder called B765JC4A which inturn holds 2 folders (Dos and Windows) Dos has 4 files fdlA, JC4A, JC4A.cfs and JC4AH.lod. Windows has 1 called B7000100. When I looked in properties this one said Firmware update utility. When I try to open this one a message pops up to say target location not defined, I suppose time will only tell if these do infact need to be installed. I'm now in the process of installing 173 updates. After the frustration this exercise has given me, not to mention the lack of sleep and the headaches my son had better love me forever, he turned what would have been a pretty simple task into a nightmare just because he didn't look-up the instructions properly.

For my own part I would like to say a very sincere and heartfelt thank you for your help. and I hope you have a merry christmas and a very happy new year.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been traveling for the US holiday of Thanksgiving (I know that there are many members of this site from different countries, so I figured I'd specify.) to see my family.

I just wanted to check in and see how things were running for you. 

After some quick research it appears that the B765JC4A folder is a firmware update for a Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS hard drive. If you don't have this hard drive then it probably won't install. If you do own that hard drive, you should attempt to download the driver again.

Edited by hazard209, 30 November 2014 - 12:37 PM.