Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

noise when computer boots (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

A day or so after cleaning inside of my PC's case which i do on regular basis with compressed air. Does not happen ever time and it seems only on restarting the PC, which it sounds to me like a horn blowing, not very loud but noticeable, then as PC reaches log in screen it stops and never returns using PC.

What is strange is when i open the case and try it several times i did not get this noise. Tried checking for any loose connection or not properly seated PCI cards.

First step was i have (2) Case fans so i tried disconnecting one at a time, noise eventually came back. Did not think was from CPU Cooler fan, but hard for me to disconnect unless it's running because i receive an error when booting from BIOS then. Possible i thought was the PSU also, but so hard to detect where this noise is coming from since it is intermittent.

Next step was i disconnected my Graphics card, this card has dual fans, used my integrated card for test. Doing this i restarted several times, no noise. Could it be this for sure, not even a year old ?

Seems also with other fans would do it pretty consistantly ,had this with a CPU fan once.

What happens with this graphics card it's fans rev up during boot whic heard this is normal and assuming when that happens, usually when i hear that noise. Might have figured this is the issue.

Try dust more, no success.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

You have possibly nailed it down to the graphics card fans, one may have a poor bearing in the motor which makes the noise when the fans first start up at full speed. Some fans you can get at the bearing and drop some light oil in, others are completely sealed.

Is it possible to disconnect one of the two fans and check, then do the same with the other?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Nev.,

No i do not see any wires or a way of doing this with this card. Hard to believe as this card was bought only last May 2014, is a good brand EVGA. Not fun doing a RMA, probably give me a refurb.

Think day i cleaned it, i may have damaged it or it was on it's way.

As said fine when first booting the PC for the day, after few repetative restarts when you will notice it, assume needs get warmed up. Even stressed the card with Valley Benchmark performes well, even in intense games, so shows no other signs of going.

PC extremely quiet even with card, but even more so without it, even having it on desk near me without card, barely hear it. Well, buying Noctua case fans are very quiet so is Arctic cooler fan which tested not those, oh, well.TY

Edited by jds63, 24 November 2014 - 03:22 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Providing you can keep an eye on those fans so that if one seizes up you will see it, and considering the noise is only at a warm start up, it may well be OK for years. Otherwise it does mean RMA the thing back.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yep, bothers me when something is wrong, i want to fix it not just leave it and wait. Might need to have someone check my PSU in case it is not that, maybe voltage check see how it is .

Believe reasons why it did not happen with case cover off, which came to mind when i tried looking for culprit was it changes the air flow in case.This makes complete sense and why did not happen then if it is one of it's fans, cause of more pressure with case closed.

Edited by jds63, 25 November 2014 - 03:18 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Could even be that with the lid on, air being forced past a joint, such as the lid, is making it buzz. Reminds me of a blade of grass trapped between both thumbs, then blow through the gap and you get a buzzing sound. It just might be the answer.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Nev,

That was my very first thought a vibration, first idea was tap side case, gently though. Then opening it making sure all was secure. Sounded more like a horn, first time, i looked out window thought someone was beeping for me :yes:

Then realized it was coming from PC. So far lately has not been happening, strangely enough, one guy gave me an idea of using a straw or long tube, put one end near my ear and other moving around near case to pinpoint sound, says this works much better at narrowing down the sound. I tried it, but like i said has not been happening anymore, yet.

Possible spraying inside of the PC, sometimes with compressed air if do not hold it right way liquid can come out maybe some got into the Fan on the Video card and now has worked itself out over time.

When i clean this card i do remove it, to do a proper job cleaning, plus making sure fans do not spin in process, because this is how you can damage them too.

We'll see how the next few days go, today was all good.

Edited by jds63, 25 November 2014 - 09:54 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

OK jds63, all looking good for now, lets hope it stays that way.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks, so far, so good,  might of gotten something in fan worked itself out, chemical from Compressed air, not sure, but has improved.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Seems like heard the sound again on restart, believe maybe from Video card. Again since it's so intermittently makes it very hard to be sure. Happen once then next time nothing, so on.........

Edited by jds63, 26 November 2014 - 06:00 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Update to this post, seems i have located the problem as i suspected it being the Graphics card. I replaced it with a Graphics card i had before i installed this one and issue seems to be gone. Believe it was one of it's fans that was making this sound as it increased in speed at boot up and restarts. If problem comes back i will start a new post, but believe i found the source of the problem. Thanks to all that looked and replied.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, we did discuss the possibility of it being one of the two fans on the graphics card, however changing out the card seems to have sorted the problem, if you'r in agreement a staff member can mark this thread as solved please.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Mr. Nev.,

I try to be positive with most things in life, but this kind of stuff you never know, it's electronics. I am pretty sure this was the issue and if it turns out to be something else i will start a new thread as mentioned. So yes it is solved,TY.

Are you a staff member also ? Never knew why i ask.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, no not staff here. Maybe not been around long enough to attract attention yet perhaps :D

For now, I have enough with the forums where I am staff. I just come here to help out where I can as I still have a few area's of missing knowledge, however when I do know, is when I help.

Also a thanks to whoever marked this topic resolved.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 03 December 2014 - 04:00 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi, no not staff here. Maybe not been around long enough to attract attention yet perhaps :D

For now, I have enough with the forums where I am staff. I just come here to help out where I can as I still have a few area's of missing knowledge, however when I do know, is when I help.

Also a thanks to whoever marked this topic resolved.

Here i thought you marked it resolved, oh yes, not around long enough. Have to Score more points, bud!

I do say i have learned a lot being around forums like this one, no doubt.