Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bought Asus high end router, WI-FI is now dog slow...help!

Router Asus RT-N66u Dark Knight slow router

• Please log in to reply

nalinc23

nalinc23

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

I went from a run of the mill Linksys 5 year old router that cost $70 new to a $170 Asus RT-N66U a few months ago.  Reason for my upgrade was to get better speed across house as my ISP service is strong.  I've messed with the settings per a few google searches off legitimate websites, bought InSSIDer to make sure I'm far from the channels of my neighbors, and split my devices on the dual-bands, putting the more demanding ones on 5 GHZ.  Bottom line is, this thing is slow as [bleep] and I can't figure it out.  For example, I just downloaded, one room away, a 30 MB app from Itunes, took 3 minutes to finish.  It should be doing 1 GB in 5 minutes.  My direct to the cable modem speed is 32 down/8 UP so it's not my ISP like I once thought. 

Any idea on some sure fire settings I can check to blast through this?  I'd estimate it's running about 2-3 MB/Sec Download right now via wireless devices, Apple TV is struggling to buffer even.  

Model of Router is RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual Band Router by Asus.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Hey there Nalinc23,

I'm sorry no one was able to attend to your question just yet. Are you still in need of help?

If so, please let me know and I will do my best to explain a thing or two about WiFi. (WiFi can be very complicated when dealing with several elements)

Regards,

Olrik