Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dead desktop

• Please log in to reply

mojo34

mojo34

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
when i turn computer on i get a no signal on monitor screen, green and red lights come on then after 45 secs red h/d light goes off and pc turns off , have tried another psu, graphics card, and hard drive, can anyone help before i dump the pc

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Does your system show all the normal signs of booting up, except for the monitor?
i.e. do the keyboard lights flash up once just after powering on?
do you hear the hard drive spin up?
Does the system emit any beeps at all?

Also, what are your system specs - motherboard/ram/graphics/cpu etc?

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it is afriends pc, it has 128mb ram, amd cpu dont know the rest, have tried a working graphics card, h/d, psu

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What about the rest of the things I asked?

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
im not sure of motherboard, has a amd cpu cpu fan starts for about 30 secs then turns of could not hear any beeps

Edited by mojo34, 11 June 2005 - 05:02 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, then I suggest you try the following :

Disconnect the power from the computer
Open up the case & disconnect the main internal power leads to the mobo.
Remove all add-on cards except video.
Disconnect all the drive cabling from the motheboard itself.
Remove any external devices except keyboard & monitor
Clear the bios using the clear cmos jumper for at least 10 secs (if you don't know how, then tell me)
Reconnect the internal power leads to the motherboard

Try & boot the system again.
Let me know if you hear any beeps, whether the keyboard lights flash etc

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks for taking the time to help, can do all you ask but canyou describe cmos jumper bit, hope i have done this right, there is a little jumper (green) next to the cmos battery took this out for 10 secs tried to reboot, no lights on keyboard or any beeps, cpu fan was running.

Edited by mojo34, 12 June 2005 - 10:38 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You've found the right jumper by the sound of it (ie 3 pin header close to battery). However you need to do this with it :

The jumper itself should originally be positioned over pins 1-2. You need to place it over pins 2-3 instead, for 10 secs or more. (Make sure the power lead to the motherboard is disconnected first). After 10 secs, return the jumper to its original position (pins 1-2).

Then reconnect power & try to boot.

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
have unplugged psu to mobo and moved jumper to pins on the left for 10 secs then replaced them, then plugged in power to mobo, same happened no beeps and no k/board lights, hi samm have not replied to last message hope im not a lost cause

Edited by mojo34, 13 June 2005 - 02:37 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I really need some more system specs but I can figure most of those out from the motherboard itself. If you look on the actual board, you should see the manufacturers name & a model number printed on it. If so, can you tell me what it is?

Also, can you tell me if anyone has disturbed the heatsink/fan assembly at any point during or just before this problem started?

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi samm, the only thing i can see on the board is microstar ms 6340 ver:1 and i dont know if the heat sink has been moved, lets assume it has

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The system is a socket A athlon/duron system (between 650-1GHz+), using PC100/133 SDRAM dimms.
There is a jumper next to the hard drive controller ports & above the floppy port that selects the CPU FSB. Let me know if this jumper is covering both pins or whether it is missing.

If missing or not covering both, then fsb is 100MHz. If over both pins, its 133MHz. As we don't know the speed of the cpu, I suggest you remove the jumper & set fsb to 100.

Its possible the cpu has overheated at some point. It may be worth reapplying some thermal paste - remove heatsink/fan & cpu. Clean old compound off of hsf & cpu using antistatic cleanser. Then reinsert cpu, spread a pea sized blob of thermal paste over the centre of cpu & attach the hsf.

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi samm, the only place i can see that a jumper might be set is just in front of the ram slots, there are no jumpers on it , also where the hard drive ide and the floppy ide cables connect ther are no jumper pins, if it helps the pins by the ram slots is white with no jumper attached. i tried cleaning cpu and heatsink then applying paste but it still does the same, ie cpu fan comes on then after 45 secs h/d light goes out

Edited by mojo34, 18 June 2005 - 08:43 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK sounds like the right jumper. The cpu fsb is set to 100MHz in that case, which is fine.

I suggest the next step is to remove the motherboard from the case.
Place it on a pile of matt paper or card, leave the cpu/ram in place.
Remove/reinsert the video card. (If the system has onboard video as well, use this instead & leave agp/pci video out. Remove any other cards & peripherals.
Disconnect all drive cabling again from mobo.

Reconnect the PSU to the motherboard & one hard drive or optical drive only. (power only, no ribbon cable)

As the wires that connect the case switches/LEDS probably won't reach the board whilst out of case, you will have to start the system manually.
In bottom right corner of board (where switched/leds) would normally connect, you will see the front panel header - labelled JFP1.
This is made up of 2 rows of pins. Locate the bottom 2 pins in the left row. ie

oo
oo
oo
oo
xo
xo

this is not accurate diagram but should give you the idea - xx are the 2 pins you need. When the psu is switched on (ie on back or at wall socket), use a flat bladed screwdriver & briefly touch these 2 pins together. This should start the system up.

Let me know what happens.

mojo34

mojo34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi samm sorry bit long for reply but i am having trouble staying connected to aol, anyway idone everything you asked just started like previous times the only thing that happens is the cpu and the psu fans are working