Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crossfire problem please help

high temperature on standby

• Please log in to reply

jetlee

jetlee

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello,
I bought x2 AMD R9-280x and when i put them in crossfire after 30 min or 1 hour of inactivity, temperature on standby increases to 80 - 82(GPU1) and 70-72(GPU2) degrees and gpu activity to 95%.
if i disable crossfire temperature on standby is 38 degree.

i have good air flow , i have even remove the case, the graphic cards are new.
i have instaled 3 version of r9 280x drivers.
i have instaled only video drivers without HDMI Audio drivers and rest.
I have reinstaled the windows .
If i take my videocard at the store for warranty they will keep my videocards for 2 weeks for testing.. and after that they will say videocards are OK.
I have windows 8.1 i5 3570k 16gb ram 120gb ssd & 3tb hdd.

Please help
(sorry for my english)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   jetlee,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU, motherboard and computer case + how you are monitoring the temperatures and GPU activity.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

SSD; Kingston - SV300S37A/120G - 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

PSU: Cougar SACGGX1050V3 1050w

Ram:Corsair - CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 - D3CT16ZA16C2 CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 (16gb)

MB:Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K / DZ77GAL-70K

Case:Thermaltake - VN900K1W2N - Thermaltake Commander GS-II, SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower

for temperature i use GPU-Z.0.8.0 and amd ccc(amd overdrive)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Polite reminder; 

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Please reply in standard text format as it is easier on the eyes.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

12344444.png224444.png

Btw, i have disable crossfire because atm i`m working and i need my pc to run smooth.

once i finish my work i will make some screens with temperature when i enable crossfire

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the update jetlee  :thumbsup:

Everything looks fine there with the exception of AUXTIN so we will see what that reads when you add Crossfire to the equation, btw AUXTIN is the PSU temp sensor if there is one.

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

There is a problem i have enabled crossfire and now my second videocard dont do nothing . dont know how to explain. only fan move

i think i need to reinstal windows again, a friend told me to reinstal windows until problem is solved :)

i_am.jpg

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Oki temperature start goin up just after i post first print screen

oki_it_start.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Reinstalling Windows will not help if this is a hardware issue.

Try removing the both cards and then placing the present non working card into the slot that had the working card in it, if it works ok add the second card and test.

Please add any attachments as detailed in my reply #4

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

i have swap videocards, all i the same.

can it be the second Pci-e slot from the mother board gone?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
i have swap videocards, all i the same.

Sorry but your answer is not quite clear, we need to know if both cards work ok when only one at a time is placed in one particular slot.

Have you put the card that was not working into the slot where the card was working, this without having put the card that was working into the slot where the card was not working, this to see if the second card works ok in the first slot.

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello, 

As i said in my first post (sorry for my english skills) I taught myself english so i never had a good teacher :)

Both video cards work well in first PCI-E slot. I do not encounter any problem.

But since i have put the second video card in the first PCI-e slot and the first video card in second PCI-E slot temperature stop rising when i enable Crossfire.
Even so temperature for second video card is not show unless the first video card temperature rise above 50 degree.

Anyway i think a sensor for PCI-e is malfunction, or PCI-e Slot 2 have some problems, since all videocards work well in first PCI-e Slot.

2313123123123123123.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello jetlee,

Nothing wrong with your English skills, they are very good but as we are dealing with your rather expensive computer hardware I just wanted to make sure that you had done the suggested checks  :thumbsup: 

In case there is a bad MB setting in the BIOS try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then replace it, see below;

jetlee

jetlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I did remove the battery and still the results are the same as before.

Thank you for your help.
My conclusion is never buy Intel Motherboard again. I should have listen to my instincts and go for Asrock z77, but i trusted my friend for intel .(bad choise)
Intel should stay and keep doing processors and let the manufacture of motherboards for others. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Unfortunately regardless of brand you may always be unfortunate enough to get a bad hardware component, quality control is not what it once was I'm afraid  :(

Can I ask if when you reinstalled Windows did you also reinstall all of the MBs drivers and starting with the chipset drivers first.