Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange happenings [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I really appreciate all the help :D ....... the last post ... most helpful !! I'm still reading and will save it for future reference ....  funny that it was Java and Adobe updates that got me into all this to start with .... Java is gone .. Adobe will be updated from the links you provided .. again thanks !!

Only thing I see with the computer, is that it takes longer to load pages or open new tabs while online .. I adjusted for performance and didn't like the look, and it didn't speed anything up so I put it back to appearance. A minor detail I would think, maybe a defrag is in order ?

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Ok, excellent news for the most part!

I needed to get all the malware removed from your computer before we moved into this next area. Yes, you have a significant number of errors in your Event Log. This could be due to Operating System difficulties, Hard Disk issues, general wonkiness from the malware, etc. So, let's do two things.

Let's do a Check Disk first and see if doesn't straighten out some of the Disk Errors. Then do a Start Up Repair per the instructions.

If the CHKDSK has trouble or problems, don't move on to the Startup Repair until we discuss the errors.(It's expected that it will find problems on the disk and fix them. Unusual things would be, Blue Screen, not finishing, sudden termination of the program, etc.

First

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories

Then, if you look down the list you should see Command Prompt. Right click Command Prompt and then select Run as Administrator.

In the box that opens, type chkdsk /f

Startup Repair

Run this three times in a row and even if it reports that nothing was repaired, it can at time still improve matters.

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb).
  • Click on All Programs >> Accessories
  • Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
  • At the Command Prompt C:\Windows\System32> type in the following exactly:
  • cd c:\
  • Then depress the Enter/Return key, then type in the following exactly:
  • sfc /scannow
  • Then depress the Enter/Return key.

Note: This may take awhile to finish. When completed close the Administrator Command Prompt window, via typing Exit then depress the Enter/Return key.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

This is what comes up. And I finally learned how to screen shot and put it into replies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled (800x450).jpg

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

A picture is worth a thousand words!!! Now, I got it....sorry to be so thick headed :bashhead:

Let' see if this doesn't work better. If the results are the same, I have one more idea.

Try this:

Highlight and copy the following four lines:

sfc /scannow
chkntfs /d
echo y|chkdsk /r
shutdown /r /t 0 /f

Click Start and type in cmd and press [Enter].

Right-click anywhere in the cmd window, select Paste, and then press [Enter] once.

Before your computer boots back up into Windows, you should see CHKDSK doing it's thing, which might take a few minutes. Once it's done Windows will load up normally.

1. The "sfc /scannow" command will run, (which might take a few minutes). This command scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible and/or replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

2. The "chkntfs /d" command will run next which restores the machine to the default behavior; all drives are checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are dirty.

3. The "chkdsk /r" command will run next which will attempt to fix any errors found on the disk, locate any bad sectors and recover readable information, and create a status report.

4. And the "shutdown /r /t 0 /f" command will reboot your computer.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Here is the reason the ESET scan had me so confused .. when I opened the log folder this came up ... I will now do the previous posts instructions .. but I wanted to show you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled111.png

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Ok then ....I did just as you typed .. nothing happened .... so I figured I would try again after a restart but while it restarted this happened

search and repair indexes

security descriptions

verify file data

verify free space

everything is really different now ..... but nothing showed up anywhere.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Oh and I might add ... it took over 6 hrs. ... not sure if you want me to do the next step ? And I don't know why the previous post is in small type ??

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Oh and I might add ... it took over 6 hrs. ... not sure if you want me to do the next step ? And I don't know why the previous post is in small type ??

Don't know about the small type face. However, the output looks quite like the CHKDSK finally ran.

You said that the computer is "quite different". In what way? How is it running now? Yes, go ahead and run ESET.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I'm getting the occasional closing of windows and freeze up of pages ... my font size was changing up between tabs but seems to have stabilized now across all tabs. I'll now run the ESET.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

This may sound like a dumb question .. but for ESET, is it the online scanner I run or do I use the 30 day trial scanner ? also even tho I have disabled my AV ESET still claims it is running and may interfere with the scan.

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Online scanner.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

No Threats Found ....... I didn't see a log file ....... and a search turned up the folder as last time.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

May have found my freeze screen problem ..... a speed test show 30mb/s download and only 1.5 mb/s upload .. I'm paying for 30/10.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Bandwidth Throtteling is a common problem for us all. I've argued with my ISP for years about this issue. They do the same thing with video bandwidth on your TV. They have a team of people that attenuate all aspects of their output. I've found that even when I get them to "turn up" the speed, it's only temporary. I can't call them to complain everyday and they know that.

That said, your download speed is fine and that is what the majority of your response time is composed of. Upload is negligable. How long does the screen freeze? What other issues are you having?

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Freeze could last .. I usually close and start over .. sometimes only a reboot will get me out of it .. not sure if that is a proper response to it. A couple posts back you asked for me to do a start up repair ... something came up and I didn't go ahead with it .. I'll do that now.