Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID-1 HDD to SSD AHCI

• Please log in to reply

BluePoet

BluePoet

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Good day all!

I am currently running two 750GB Seagate drives in a RAID-1 setup.  My computer is a laptop but has two HDD SATA III bays.  Sometime next week I will be getting a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro, and I am looking forward to that, believe me.

My question is:  at what point should I change my BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI?  Should I do it prior to migrating the drive image to the SSD?  I assume so, since I don't even know if I can clone a RAID-1 disk (I doubt it).  Should I just change from RAID to AHCI, lose my array, remove one HDD, and then clone to the SSD in the second bay?  That would seem to make sense and would even save me the trouble of buying an additional SATA to USB adapter.

Anyone ever attempt something like this before?  I would be happy to hear any suggestions.

Advertisements