Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory spike; slow laggy computer; require assistance

malware google chrome popups slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

FIRST >>>>

Just need to be sure that MBAM removed what it finds ....

• Please start Malwarebytes' AntiMalware and update the database if it says it needs it.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • If any malware is found, make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When the scan is complete, click View detailed log >> to view the results.
  • 386d1e7f-0e85-4425-b4dc-fa8ad24a4855_zps
  • The report screen will open
  • a50e2fb7-0c07-4ff6-917c-19e7329dab8a_zps
  • At the bottom click on Export and select as txt file, save the file to your desktop and click OK.  When the export is complete, select OPEN.
  • ExportSaved_zpsac3a71eb.png
  • The log file will be opened in your default text file viewer (usually Notepad); select the whole text (Ctrl + A) and copy (Ctrl + c) it to paste here in a reply.

SECOND >>>>

ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You will need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus for the duration of the online scan, how to do so can be read here. Also, please note that this scan can take a while to run.

• Please go here to run the scan and click on Run ESET Online Scanner
  • abfacb96-0c99-4b59-b9e9-9298aa0ee3ec_zps
  • The next screen will be the ESET Online Scanner installer
  • Getinstallerpopup_zps569f8772.png
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer and select Save File
  • downloadsave_zpsb758563f.png
  • Save the file to your desktop; you should see a file like this when the download is finished
  • desktopfile_zps98a1ee89.png Double click on this to start the installation of the ESET Online Scanner
  • In the new window that appears select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on Start
  • TOU_zps4ecd3406.png
  • Now in the Computer scan settings window that appears:-
  • Make sure that the option Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications is selected.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and configure the options as follows:
    • Remove found threats is Not checked
    • Scan archives is checked
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications is checked
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology is checked
  • Now click on: Start
  • Loadsettings_2014-08-23_zps3f2d0c88.png
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • Downloadingsignatures_zps36c38587.png
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Scanningdisplay_zpsec3aac14.png
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed, if any malware was detected, the summary screen will show a warning.
  • Threatsfound_zpsfe95fb4e.png
  • On the Scan results detail window, select to Export to text file, name the file ESET scan results.txt and save it to your desktop.
  • Exporttotextfile_zps16cb487f.png
  • Click <<Back once the file is saved, select 'Uninstall application on close' and click on Finish.
  • UninstallcheckedandFinish_zps6fb26ad8.pn
  • Use Notepad to open the logfile you save on your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

Information to Reply with >>>>

• The MBAM cleaning log.
  • The ESET Online Scanner log.
  • Is the system running better now or just when the Fixlist was run?

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Are you still needing any assistance with this issue?

goosew_108

goosew_108

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey Dbreeze, 

I still would love assistance. I'm just frequently out of town, I was trying to get my sister to the house to run these instructions but she bailed on me. I was wondering, would it be possible for me to PM you when I return home on the 25th and continue the process then? I'll be home for two weeks at that point so I can speedily keep going with the cleaning--- which has been proving effective. 

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

dbreeze us currently unavailable and I am covering for him...

I appreciate real life comes first and I have no problem reopening this topic upon your return. Merely send myself a PM, thank you.