Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows does not recognized my 1 TB external hard drive. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

trips487

trips487

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

However, it's recognized in the bios and the device manager. I built my pc on October the 8th and from what it looks like everything is in place. However, the only thing that shows up and allows me to save my games and other programs are on the SSD card. There is no 1 TB hard drive shown nor allows me to use that to save stuff. I built a gaming pc and having the lack of disk space is a pain. The only disk space I have is under this pc which is 111 GB. So as you can see I don't even have the TB installed or something. Like I said though it's located in the bios and in the device manager. It's a brand new drive as well. Everything I purchased was brand new and I made sure I installed things correctly when building it. 

I have windows 8.1 for my operating system.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello trips487,

See if the external hard drive is recognised in Disk Manager, if it is follow the steps at the link below.

To open Disk Manager:

Click Start, type Disk Manager in the Start search box and press Enter.

If the drive is detected in disk manager, I suggest that you assign it a drive letter and see if that helps.

See Change, add, or remove a drive letter here

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Hello, I checked the disk management and it seems that it's not located in there which is weird. Does that mean the drive I have is not plugged in correctly or possibly broken? If it shows up in the bios and device manager. Then why isn't in the disk management or recognized in windows? Well at least I think it's the 1TB disk drive in the bios and device manager. The 1 TB drive I got is this and the bios/device manager show WDC-WD10EzEx-00bna0

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

Edited by trips487, 28 November 2014 - 11:07 AM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, till Phill gets back to us tomorrow morning (UK Time) around twelve hours or so from now. (9.20PM UK GMT)

Can I ask is there another computer available or friends to plug it into and see if it is recognised there, just to prove one way or the other if it is a faulty drive or not.

I take it the SSD card you mention is the present internal drive?

Do you have any other storage media such as pen drives or flash memory of some kind such as SD cards, do they show up and are they allocated a drive letter?

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 28 November 2014 - 03:19 PM.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Hello, thank you for the reply. I don't have access to another pc right now. It will probably be a day or two before I can test that out. I believe so the ssd card is the one that's being saved on the internal drive. Also I don't have any other storage media located besides the internal drive and my dvd RW drive. Ill be at work for the rest of the night then off to sleep. So i won't check back here until morning. Thank you again for the help. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional support Nev  :thumbsup:

Trips487,

Your topic is titled "Windows does not recognized my 1 TB external hard drive." but the link in your reply #3 here is an internal HDD.

Can we have a screenshot of Disk Manager please.

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

attached is the screen shot you requested. Ill check back after I come back at work around 9 pm cst.

Attached Thumbnails

• disk management.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries, reply when you can as one of us will most likely be around,

Trips487,

Your topic is titled "Windows does not recognized my 1 TB external hard drive." but the link in your reply #3 here is an internal HDD.

Please clarify.

WD confirms the WDC-WD10EZEX as a standard desktop btw, specs here.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Well I am just trying figure out why my 1 TB hard drive isn't being recognized. Shouldn't I have more to save on my pc than just 111 GB of space? Isn't 1 TB 1000 GB? I don't see any of that on my pc. So did I hook something wrong when I was building my pc or is my TB hard drive malfunctioned or something? Maybe I bought the wrong part? I am new to building a computer so I am not sure if I did something wrong or not. 

Okay I just checked something under systems and securities. I was curious and looked under storage spaces and I found that my 1 TB hard drive is located there. It shows that I used 230 MB out of 930 GB. However, I still can not save anything on that drive. When I try to download new games or anything else it says I have insufficient space. Why is this if the system says I have the storage available? If you would like more screen shots of this pc and the manage storage spaces I can do that. Please let me know how to fix this as I want to use my new hard drive.

I was able to create a new storage E drive now. However, everything still saves in the local disk and when I try to move stuff out to the new storage. It still has to redownload everything into my local disk drive. Steam games still says I have not enough space to download and my local disk still gets full. How can i move all my games and download new games into the new drive? How can i ensure that my stuff won't keep redownloading the game and still have the games available? Thank you. As shown in the screen shot is my new drive I just made. Drive E with my 1 TB storage. I want to use that to save all my games and other files. While keeping my local disk clean for windows updates and other important files only.

Attached Thumbnails

• drives.jpg

Edited by trips487, 30 November 2014 - 12:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Trips487,

Your topic is titled "Windows does not recognized my 1 TB external hard drive." but the link in your reply #3 here is an internal HDD.

Please clarify.

WD confirms the WDC-WD10EZEX as a standard desktop btw, specs here.

Advertisements

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I am confused on what you mean by clarify. I just meant that before the 1 TB did not show up in the control panel as shown in the screen shot above your post. Now I am able to see it because I went under storage spaces and created a new storage. So that problem is fixed. Now I just need to make sure I did it correctly and how to transfer my files to the new storage space and have the local disk clean. To make sure everything saves on the 1 TB instead.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Your topic title says "Windows does not recognized my 1 TB external hard drive."  but the link that you provided and the information available from Western Digital tells us that the drive is the internal type, difference being that an external HDD would be connected by a USB cable and identified differently in Disk Management, until the device showed up in the screenshot in your reply #9 we had no idea whether the drive was internal or external, we can only work with the information provided and you will note from my reply #2 we were looking for a USB type external HDD "See if the external hard drive is recognised in Disk Manager, if it is follow the steps at the link below." not being pedantic but accidents can happen when acting on misinformation.

How to: Initialize And Format A New Disk For Use In Windows it is also important to remember to save your data such as games etc direct to the storage device that has now been assigned the drive letter E: if you don`t manually check and you download something from within Windows it will save to the C: drive taking up space on the SSD.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Oh okay. My apologies I got confused from external and internal drives. Since the drive was not included in the system. I had to purchase the part. So I guess I meant internal 1 HD drive then. My initial problem was to locate the storage since windows did not show it through the my computer option where the other drives are located at. Now that I fixed that from the storage spaces option. Do I just have to uninstall everything and reinstall everything I want on to the hard drive then? Then make sure everything is saved on that hard drive for now on? Could I just cut and paste from local disk to the HD if I wanted? What would be the best option to transfer stuff from local disk to the hard drive? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries as no harm done  :thumbsup: 

Pictures and videos etc can be copied from the C: to the E: drive but any programmes such as games will need to be freshly installed to the new data only E: drive.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Just to add and help prevent confusion.

When you download a program, you should first make sure that your browser is instructed to save the download to the 1TB drive and not the SSD "C" drive. Which browser are you using?

For example in Firefox, click "tools" then "Options", under the general tab, you would see in the lower section where to direct downloads to.

Secondly, for installing, if wanting it installed on the 1TB drive, I gather it is "E" drive, you should select that during the install process.

Nev.