Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re install

• Please log in to reply

mowpar

mowpar

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
while updating my computer. Del ⛄️660. I decided I could not wait for the full down load to take place. I pressed the stop down load button. I then tried to buy and install Malwarebytes to my computer. After I lost the codes and could not activate my purchase, I shut the computer down to wait for the codes to be sent from Malwarebytes. Today when I turned computer on it started to boot up. It then showed that it was uploading the updates that went through before I decided to not wait for complete update. ( I guess ),,, in any case after the banner of updates crossed the screen they suddenly stopped and then the computer rebooted itself and started the same banner and shut off again. I am not able to get on the Internet or get computer to home screen, I have tried to start in safe mode but that still would not let me, access the home page to try to fix this problem.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN. THANKS

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

mowpar,

We are just talking about updates for Malwarebytes or even Dell updates too that you stopped? Try to uninstall malwarebytes ? If talking about updates for this, should be virus definitions and or product updates. Usually it does not need to reboot to update this program.

Any system restore points made prior to this install ? Home screen mean desktop ? I would unistall this malwarebytes first. Then if have restore point before this, use this point.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I was updating windows, and opted to stop the update, then tried to upload paid version of Malwarebytes, was not trying to load anything else. I cannot uninstall anything, computer will not allow me to reach homepage. I did try to run a restore back to one point then another, neither would work. Just stopped and stated it had not changed anything. I tried to boot in safe mode this had no effect, still would not boot to the home screen.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Have installation media, Windows 7 or Vista which ever it is ? If so may need to do a repair, other options can be accessed there too we can try. Recovery partition on this system ?

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I don't believe it Is Vista. The thumb drive I have that contains the operating system, is titled, Windows 7 Home Premium. Thanks for your attention here, wish I were more of an able person at working with computers. My problem in receiving this type of help, is not knowing the language or even just the basics of computer skills.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, is this also your post on this help forum?

http://computerhelpf...12/#post-175265

As I said there, it may be better to just stay on one forum, with helpers on either not knowing about the other, confusing advice may be given resulting in an even worse situation.

Nev.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have closed the other account. Thanks for the advice. Confusing is not something I need more of, for sure.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Thanks for that, I will leave you in the good hands of jds63.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

mowpar,

Thanks Nev. !

Let's start off by asking that for sure this is a Dell Inspiron 660 ? Dell has diagnostics at there site can help you out too http://www.dell.com/...inspiron-660/pd

I know most likely out of warranty, so most likely not going get support for it over phone without paying them per hour.

Should be a recovery partition on this PC, when computer boots by pressing F8,F9, should get you there. Recovery partition has whichever Windows version that was originally put on this PC. You say thumb drive has Windows 7, but did PC come with Vista. Doing this process would bring you back to the state the PC was when you purchased it, but will loose all that was put on after that, software, windows updates, drivers. Kind of last resort. Not sure that USB Thumb drive has everything correctly on it to do a Repair.

Did you make this thumb drive when you purchased the PC or after and how ? Use another PC like you are doing now to see what exactly is on it, know it's tough for you, but equally for me i can not see it from here.

So you had Windows 7 before all this happened ? Need know more before i suggest any help for rest. We rather try a reapir first before deciding to recover the PC to factory state, if possible.

Edited by jds63, 25 November 2014 - 03:41 PM.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
There is nothing on this computer that I do not have on a flash drive. Dell techs put a new hard drive and optical drive, in this computer not more 5 weeks ago. I had no more than just got the computer the way I wanted it, and this happened.
If you could put this computer back to factory settings, and cure the virus, that would be the best thing I could of hope for.
This PC was bought with windows 7 home premium, no vista. The flash drive I have was sent to me from Dell, to have here for the tech, to use when he installed the hard drive. The flash drive is the OS for windows 7 home premium.

I tried to make a recovery disc when I first got the pc but was not able to. After the hard drive install, I talked to Dell techs to see if they could help me make a back up disk, and install, a restore point. He said he could help me with that. But after more than an hour of going through various steps to get this done, the tech gave up. He did tell me the restore point we put on was there and ready for use. He then stated at that time that the flash drive I had from Dell with the operaing system on it, would serve as a back up disc.

When the computer kept cycling, and would not boot to home page, I tried to go back to this restore point, but it would not let me do so. I tried to go through the pc, and use its diagnostic tools and repair tools but they did not fix anything, and simply stated that no repairs were made.

I hope my answers were helpful, and sorry if I missed anything you might need. Thanks for your help in this, I thought to go through the course offered here to learn malware and virus detecting and fixing, but I am not very smart at things such as computer. I am a bricklayer, my wife was a business and taught computer literacy, but that is not helpful with this.

This is a Dell Inspiron 660. The link you provided, no longer functions.

Edited by mowpar, 25 November 2014 - 06:13 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

mowpar,

Your Very Welcome.....

For one, let's get this out of the way, you never stated you had a virus or thought you had one. You stated you were downloading and purchasing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware then lost the code to activate.Basically when updating the PC at Dell's site or Windows update ? Something corrupted your system files on this PC not making you be able to boot properly.Can't also rule out hardware issue, but no beeps from your PC BIOS as far as stated earlier.

If using the USB Flash Drive with Windows 7 Home Premium in a USB port, then booting PC and have to know which to press F8,F9, possibly F11 or F12 to get you to the Boot Manager, then you can select the USB Drive, go into the repair. This would be correct if this is truly a real copy of Windows 7 on USB Flash drive.

I think if they helped you with installing a new drive, then if there was ever a Recovery partition when you originally bought this PC ,it is now gone. Because was on that older drive which most PC manufacturer's do when they are sold preinstalled with a Operating system (OEM).

Need to try to figure out is what F key get you into the Boot Manager, while thumb drive is plugged into a USB port, has to be there when you boot, F key pressed immediatley and repetitively at bootup as soon as see Dell Logo.

Only thing i can think of is a Repair disc or complete system recovery with this Thumb Drive if it works properly at this point.

If thought you had a virus from the begining possibly, but since it did not boot properly most likely would have been hard for Malware team here to help you rid of one or make sure you did not have one.

Edited by jds63, 25 November 2014 - 10:28 PM.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I don't know what it is called,that is happening to my computer. I have tried before what you mentioned, about inserting usb drive. After inserting the drive, I booted with hitting f12. Selecting to boot from the usb drive listed there, it had no effect.

Everything I have tried, or attempted to do, has had zero effect.

What Dell techs did I have no idea. Tech came here with an order to replace the hard drive, optical drive. I could believe any story, anyone one told about these techs.

After first tech left, I came home, found my computer on the floor nose down on the floor nothing hooked up to it. Wife was told he could not get the pc to boot up.

Second tech came to put in another hard drive and optical driver, as he was leaving, he told me that the drive was not hooked up inside the tower, and all he did was hook it up, run it to see things were fine and left.

It was working fine after that. I do not know anything about a recovery partition. I bought the computer from Staples. I know that since I have had this computer, I have not really ever enjoyed it, always afraid something bound to go wrong and it has not let me down yet. If there was a lemon law for computers I would be eligible to get a new one.Dell had been putting band aids on this computer, they just got it to barely to survive until the warranty run out, now all they talk about is getting money to really fix it now.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
If I could get to the home screen, I might have a better chance at fixing this. I tried to get on going through every option that f8 safe mode had listed nothing worked, and had zero effect on anything. It would sometimes shift to a screen that said it would analyze and run a repair, but that came back to screen, that said it could not automatically fix the problem.

Edited by mowpar, 26 November 2014 - 06:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Excuse the interjection here folks  :)

mowpar;

Can I ask how long you have had this computer and is it definitely a Dell 660, the reason that I ask is because all of the specs that I can find show that the computer was shipped with Windows 8 and not Windows 7, the Dell 660s shipped with Windows 7 as the OS but that is a small form factor computer that has no optical drive.

Dell 660 specs here

Hope you don't mind me chiming in jd.  

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
It is definitely a 660, and for sure is windows 7 home premium. I had heard stories about windows 8, none were good.
What you are saying is probably true. The discrepancy is my not knowing exactly what was done. I know the word optical
was used, it may have been the optical reader.