Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Gaming Build Ever - Looking for some critiquing

• Please log in to reply

turddangler

turddangler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MvwYwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker....wP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($208.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Guard-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($94.36 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.24 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.03 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.13 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $802.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 01:15 EST-0500

I found some better deals than these around so the price is about 80 dollars cheaper. I have had some help from other forums with the build. I currently am not concerned with overclocking at the moment. Might suit it up for that later on. I am hoping for some final critiques from you guys. I am completely new to this forum and to building computers. Hoping for some first hand expertise from this community! Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:

The following is guidance and in no way intended as criticism  :thumbsup:

Great CPU but certain other items I would not recommend and if you read the Newegg feedback for the video card and the MB you will understand why, the video card requires a 750W PSU btw so the 500W Corsair would be of no use to you in any event.

The HDD is over priced and you can get a 1TB drive for around the same price or slightly less if you go for the Seagate Barracuda here and claim the $5 mail in rebate 1TB WD Blue here

GPU specs here and Newegg reviews here

MB reviews here

turddangler

turddangler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

PCpartpicker is telling me that the extimated wattage is 437W. It appears to run hot though. I was told buying two lower video cards might be preferable to the 290. I really have no idea on that one though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You should always be lead by what the manufacturer recommends not just because they have tested the card (they will often ramp things up) but more importantly it is them who provide the warranty and should the card fail they will not honour the warranty if an underpowered PSU has been used, and they can tell btw.

One good video card is more preferable than having two mediocre cards as it will cost less and not need such a powerful PSU, for your budget and depending how many and what size of screens you will use the GTX 760 or if the budget will allow it a GTX 770 card would be my suggestion, the GTX 770 does require a 600W PSU though.

As an asides PowerColor do another and better version of the R9 290 but that too requires a 750W PSU see here as does the XFX version here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard from you for a couple of weeks, how are you getting on with the build and/or your list of parts.