Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropped my laptop, and now I don't know what's wrong

• Please log in to reply

Nelliel

Nelliel

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hopefully I posted this in the right forum. 

Problem: The other night, I fell with my laptop in my hands and I tried to prevent it from hitting the ground as best as I could but it seems my attempts were in vain. I opened it, and saw a frozen image of my lockscreen (I'm on Windows 8.1). I knew I probably shouldn't have, but I shut it off, and restarted it. It booted up to the Dell logo, and then dropped a lovely blue screen on me with this error:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

An unexpected error has occurred

Error Code: 0xc00000001

Then something about recovery tools and such. I got the recovery tools from Windows, installed it onto a flash drive, proceeded to attempt that method. I don't recall all the problems I encountered, but I just know I failed at everything including reinstalling the OS on a clean (formatted) harddrive. I assumed it was a harddrive problem, so I tried another. 

I managed to install Windows 8.1 onto my other harddrive in the same laptop. After installation, the computer restarted, and after 5 minutes, it said it encountered an error, with a ':(' face, and gave me error  0xC000021A. 

I've already googled both of these error codes and tried everything listed as solutions for these issues. None of them worked. I'm currently resetting my harddrive again, but I'm honestly losing hope here. I would like to assume now that this isnt a harddrive problem, but I don't have time to take it to a computer tech to have it looked at, since everywhere closes at 5pm (same time I get off from work). Is there any way I can solo out the issue, and possibly repair it? I don't know if there are any other problems since I can't seem to load past the boot screen or the BIOS, aside from recovery tools. I've tried Safe Mode, and I've tried reinstalling, repairing, etc. I did a hardware troubleshoot (before installing the second harddrive), and the issue it threw at me was the harddrive (even made a lot of noise, Toshiba harddrive, had some loud annoying music), but since nothing seems to be working, I'm at a loss here. Unless something is wrong with both of these harddrives...

Anyways, all help completely appreciated and sorry for taking up your time. Thanks, and have a good night.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    Nelliel,

Before you formatted and removed the original HDD did you try running the pre installed Dell diagnostic tools by tapping the F12 key when you restarted the notebook.

Have you tried removing and reseating the Ram in case it is loose, post which particular model of Dell it is so we can look for a manual.

Can I ask from where you obtained Windows 8.1 from and if you installed the Dell drivers once 8.1 was installed.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Nelliel

Nelliel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome:    Nelliel,

Before you formatted and removed the original HDD did you try running the pre installed Dell diagnostic tools by tapping the F12 key when you restarted the notebook.

Have you tried removing and reseating the Ram in case it is loose, post which particular model of Dell it is so we can look for a manual.

Can I ask from where you obtained Windows 8.1 from and if you installed the Dell drivers once 8.1 was installed.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Yes, I did. That's when the HDD started blaring. Then it all froze and crashed.

Dell Inspiron 14 (3421)

Windows 8 came with my laptop. I'm using a company one at the moment, but I'm gonna have to get another license. I just needed to get my computer working for now.

And no, I forgot that the RAM might be loose. I finally got WIndows 8 up and running on my laptop. It's moving really slow now, and it lags. It even shut down on its own a few times. I have no idea what's going on. (Well okay, I guess I did drop it... but it moves fine sometimes and other times it just completely freezes up and refuses to do things). It's like it's slowly warming up to being normal again. I need to get back all my drivers it seems. Getting them from the Dell website atm. This is the first time my laptop has actually reached past the logo after boot up since Wednesday.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Some links below for you to look at, drivers must be installed in a set order so check that link first;

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order

If the notebook is still under warranty Backup Media Request

If no warranty Dell Media Recovery Options and the Request Backup Discs Form

User manual here the memory is easy enough to check.

Let us know when all drivers are installed and Windows is fully updated, no need to quote my replies btw  :thumbsup:

Nelliel

Nelliel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks, but it seems that was in vain. Aside from the fact that it refuses to install my wireless drivers (got everything else installed), I have no wi-fi. Then I restarted the laptop, and it refused to start up again. Went into diagnostic mode, got stuck in a reboot loop, and now I'm back to square 1. No laptop. I reinstalled windows yet again, and it came back on, shut down the laptop to see if it'd start back up, reached the logo, froze for about 10 seconds, and then shut off.

Is it still possible that this is a harddrive problem? Or do you think it's something else? What else could it be...

Also sorry about the quote. Couldn't remember what you had told me, and to respond to everything, I ended up quoting so I had it visible hehe. My bad.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Did you remove and then replace the Ram to ensure that it is securely seated.

It could be the HDD but too soon to be sure, when you start up the notebook do you hear the internal cooling fan running.

Restart the computer to access the BIOS, check that the HDD is set to AHCI and not IDE mode.

Can you also check the BIOS to see if the wireless device is enabled

Do you have another computer with internet access that also has a DVD/CD burner, this first to download an ISO to test the HDD and second if we need you to download a Windows 8.1. ISO.

Nelliel

Nelliel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yes I did remove the RAM and I placed it back in. Did this twice for both of them.

I do hear the internal cooling fan.

HDD is set to AHCI already and I'm not exactly sure where the check if the wireless device is enabled as I dont see the option anywhere.

Which ISOs do I need to download? I'm currently using other computers to get my one up and running again, so I do have them available.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay  :(

You should now run the HDDs diagnostics tool, see below;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.

If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc