Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps restarting (BSOD) and sometimes won't boot (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Download them in Safe Mode if you are able to, this way you have them ready to run.

The Nvidia virtual audio device is not likely to be causing this but see if you are able to update the driver if only to get rid of the yellow ! can I also ask that you make sure that the video drivers for the Palit add on card are completely uninstalled, this to avoid conflicts with the integrated video chip drivers.

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I managed to download and run them in normal mode shortly before the BSOD happened again as seen before.

Here is the comparison:

comparison.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Speedfan and HWMonitor readings do not match so best to check the BIOS;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Note that core 2 on the CPU is busy but core 1 is not.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Here you go:
+3.3v - 3.304v
+5v - 5.04v
+12v - 11.951v

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Those readings are fine but as mentioned the computer is not under load and the readings will change, they are though a better sign for the PSU.

For now keep the add on video card out of the system while we look at the Ram and clear the CMOS;

Can I ask if you have the Ram in the two blue slots on the MB.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yes the ram is in the two blue slots.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

In case you are not aware the two blue slots are recommended to be used when OCing.

Clear the CMOS following the steps at the attachment below.

Test one stick at a time as detailed below;

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Results
Stick 1:
Slot 1(Blue) - Boot fine, fine after 10 minutes. Tried opening Minecraft (Java Based game) monitor went to no signal.
Slot 2 - Boot fine, fine after 14 minutes, Launch Minecraft, ran fine for 5 mins.
Slot 3(Blue) - Rebooted before I could login, second attempt froze on login screen.
Slot 4 - Boot fine, fine after 10 mins, Launch Minecraft and same BSOD from earlier.

Stick 2:
Slot 1(Blue) - Boot fine, fine after 10 mins, launched Minecraft and worked fine for 5 mins.
Slot 2 - Crash when logging in, attempt 2 booted fine, fine after 10 mins, launched Minecraft and same BSOD from earlier.
Slot 3(Blue) - Boot fine, fine after 10 mins, launch Minecraft same BSOD.
Slot 4 - Boot fine, fine after 10 mins, launched Minecraft and PC rebooted.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi guys.

Just to keep you in the loop I have picked up the malware thread and will keep an eye here as well to keep abreast of whats going on.

And hi from the other side of the pennines Joe :D Spent some time living your way some years back.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

JoeBenyon.

NB.   Do not perform any other tasks, other than the ones from rugie_uk, until you have been given a clean bill of health and passed back to this forum.

Thanks.

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I've been given the all clear from the malware section thanks to ruggie_uk so I think we can resume things here soon. I don't think any of the issues have been solved yet so I am eager to get on with things. I have spoken to someone I know who is an IT technician and he suggested to re-install Windows. Is this a good thing to do? Or is it just a last resort?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
 I don't think any of the issues have been solved yet so I am eager to get on with things. 

What are the present issues exactly.

Don't be so eager that you reinstall Windows, it is the last resort unless it is obviously corrupt and you would not thank us if we said for you to reinstall Windows only for it to not resolve the issue/s.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

The issues are the same as earlier, I can boot in safe mode fine but when it comes to a normal boot sometimes the PC reboots, sometimes it gives a BSOD, sometimes the monitor loses signal and occasionally when I am able to log in successfully it either reboots after a few minutes or works fine until I open an application such as Minecraft or Google Chrome.

As for re-installing Windows, it wouldn't be too much of an issue if it didn't solve the issue as really the only things I have on my HDD are games that can easily be re-downloaded from the Steam client.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I did a clean boot and followed all the instruction, DiskCheck etc, created a restore point and then started the repair. After 4 of the repairs had done my PC restarted. I then booted in Safe Networking mode and continued the repair. Because of the restart there are two separate logs. I don't think this has fixed any problems as after the successful repair I rebooted and the PC BSOD'd whilst my desktop was loading. Do you need me to post any of the logs?