Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC keeps restarting (BSOD) and sometimes won't boot (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
After 4 of the repairs had done my PC restarted. 

To what 4 repairs do you refer - did you disable the AV when you were running the repair?

No logs required thanks as the repair not resolving the issue/s adds more weight to this being a hardware as opposed to a software issue and as mentioned earlier in this thread the CPU, see if you are able to test the CPU with Prime95;

1. Download the software and unzip the files to your desired location.
  2. Run the Prime95 executable and select "Just Stress Testing" when asked.
  3. The default options are sufficient to do a well balanced stress test on the system.

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

The first 4 were:
Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files and Repair WMI.
I had the Antivirus disabled the whole time.

As for the Prime 95, how long do I need to keep it running for and is it okay to run in Safe Mode?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
The first 4 were:
Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files and Repair WMI.
I had the Antivirus disabled the whole time.

Acknowledged.

Try Prime95 in normal mode first of all, any problems try it in Safe Mode for around 4 hours, unless it crashes that is.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've been running it in Safe Mode for nearly 3 hours now so once I've gotten to 4 hours I will try in normal mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Are you using the computer as you normally would but in Safe Mode. 

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I don't know what you mean by that :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Send emails, type a letter or whatever, games will run slow though so I wouldnt try playing while Prime is running.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ah, well I would normally only play games but as of browsing the web etc it works fine in safe mode, I don't think I would be able to play games because of lack of drivers. I managed to boot in normal mode and have started testing, I will feedback when and if it crashes/reboots.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

:thumbsup:

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I'm amazed to say that with Prime95 running my PC has been fine in Normal mode for over 12 hours now and still hasn't rebooted, I am even able to make this post. Does this mean the reboots are being caused by my CPU being idle?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Possibly a low paper state is causing the crashes, the ASUS AI software can cause this btw.

Check out your system power configuration, see Microsoft article here

Offline for a few hours now but will check back later.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

There are 7 Errors, 2 Warnings and 17 Informational. This was done with Prime95 still running. Should I attach the energy-report.html?

*Edit* As soon as I stopped Prime95 and opened Google Chrome the monitor went to no signal and I had to switch my PC off at the PSU.

I found a thread online with a similar issue and it said about ASUS AI Suite, but I don't seem to have that installed on my PC. The only ASUS software I can see that is installed is called 'Asus Update'.

It also says "Please remove any CD/DVD virtualization software", so I have gone ahead and uninstalled PowerISO.

I tried setting all the USB Root Hubs in Device manager to Not "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", and also set Legacy USB to Enabled in the BIOS but after rebooting, all the USB Root Hubs are set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" despite me changing and applying it.
None of this seems to have made a difference.

Edited by JoeBenyon, 11 December 2014 - 10:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Here you go :) Link

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Nothing showing in the Speccy report that would 100% identify the cause of the issue, there are three things though that are worthy of being checked;

(1) There are unnecessary updates scheduled so disable them and by running msconfig;

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable Allbutton.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.  

(2) The pagefile/virtual memory is set too high as it should only be 1.5 Xs the amount of physical memory that is present, you have 8GB of Ram so the pagefile/virtual memory should only be 12GB;

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 61 %
Total Physical: 7.73 GB
Available Physical: 3.00 GB
Total Virtual: 15 GB
Available Virtual: 11 GB

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

6. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

7. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

Note
  • Increases in size usually don't require a restart for the changes to take effect, but if you decrease the size, you'll need to restart your computer.

(3) Ruggie advised me that the keyboard and mouse drivers had been identified as crashing so try a standard keyboard and mouse, this after uninstalling the drivers and any associated software for them.

NB: You will note that Speccy shows that the sharkoon keyboard drivers have been installed three time and that they are the same version dated 6-21-2006 with the driver provider/vendor being unknown.