Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps restarting (BSOD) and sometimes won't boot (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Okay, thank you, I will order one from Amazon.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Nev for your input.

JoeBenyon

Until the CMOS battery is replaced and the BOIS is reset,  we can't proceed further.   You should be able to get the battery from stores like Walmart, Searers, local PC shop, most places that sell batterys, possible ring around.

Are you able to borrow a PS/2 keyboard?

I will do some research on the error code. 

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hi, I have ordered the battery and will be collecting it tomorrow, I think I have a PS/2 keyboard somewhere, is it the one with the green/purple connector?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Battery :spoton:

is it the one with the green/purple connector? 

Yes.

Make sure the PSU is switched off, swap the keyboard for the PS/2 one.   Take care when changing the battery as the battery holders are usually a bit flimsy.  change the battery and power on,  at boot enter the BIOS, set the date and time, go to the exit screen, press F10, click OK on the confirmations screen. The computer should reboot to the desktop.

Let us know the results. 

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Battery :spoton:

is it the one with the green/purple connector? 

Yes.

Make sure the PSU is switched off, swap the keyboard for the PS/2 one.   Take care when changing the battery as the battery holders are usually a bit flimsy.  change the battery and power on,  at boot enter the BIOS, set the date and time, go to the exit screen, press F10, click OK on the confirmations screen. The computer should reboot to the desktop.

Let us know the results. 

I couldn't find my PS/2 keyboard but I changed the battery. I looked in speccy and the CMOS voltage still says 1.644v is there something wrong with Speccy as this is a new battery? Nothing seems to have changed. Windows froze after 6 minutes and I had to reboot and when I did, whilst logging in I got the clock interval BSOD. What now?

Edited by JoeBenyon, 16 December 2014 - 01:55 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.

Is this the error message a BSOD?

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor"

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yes it is, it happens ocassionally when it reboots.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Start the computer and enter the BIOS, on the top menu, look for pc health or monitoring, you shoud see the Volts listed, make a not of the Vbat.

After replacing the battery, did you press the F10 key to save setting. 

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I can't see anything called Vbat but under Hardware Monitor there is VCORE voltage which is 1.332v.
And yes I pressed F10 to Save and Exit.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Is there anything else I can try or should I get my Windows 7 disc ready?  :smashcomp:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Beginning to chase shadows, so unless Phillpower2 has any other suggestion, I think time for fresh install being, there is no Data on the drive you are desperate to salvage????.

You will need the COA for the OS.

The MB disc containing the drivers/utilities.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Don't think there's anything I'm bothered about keeping, my HDD was starting to get untidy anyway. I think I have the MB disc under my desk I will have to double check and the COA sticker is on the back of my PC.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I found my Windows 7 and MB discs, should I do it now or should I wait?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, go ahead and install.

Only install the OS and MB drivers.   Use the windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. allow windows to update.   Install your browser of choice and make it Default. 

Do not install any other software before posting back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Yes, go ahead and install.

Only install the OS and MB drivers.   Use the windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. allow windows to update.   Install your browser of choice and make it Default. 

Do not install any other software before posting back.

A fresh install is always a last resort but it would appear that we are at that point, I will be pleased for you if a reinstall solves the issue but being honest I suspect more of a hardware issue  :(