Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC running slow: High CPU Usage in Task Manager (resolved)

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

This is my secondary computer that I use mainly to edit and do some internet usage.  It is a dell Dimension 3000 that I have had up and running for about 4 months after upgrading the ram to 2gb and installing a new 120gb hdd with Win 7 Pro (which has 79.5 gb free space).   It performed really well for a long time but then started bogging down to the point that it is actually too slow to use much. 

The performance tab in task manager with computer idling and nothing open shows usage from 50% percent to 100% most of the time.  Occasionally the usage might drop down to 6 to 15% for a second.  I am running avast free and malwarebytes free. 

If someone can help and needs more information, please advise.

Thanks,

JohnGo

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back JohnGo.

Please run the Advance Diagnostic test from the link and let us know the results. 

http://www.dell.com/...on-3000/manuals

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I'm on a different computer now.. This morning I turned the dell on and walked away for a few minutes.  When I returned, the computer had shut completely down.  When I got it back up, the fan ran full blast and the CPU usage in task manager was pegged on 100% and that's all it would ever do.  Since I have my most important files backed up, I'm strongly considering just doing a new windows install and get a fresh start. 

Your thoughts??

JohnGo

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes I agree seeing there is no other Data you want to recover.  A fresh clean install nearly always gets a better result.   If the computer is stall flaky after you have everthing set up, it would be time to look at a hardware issue.

Please let us know how you progress.

Thanks. 

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

At this time the dell is running normal, however I don't have very much of my software installed yet.  I'll see how it goes and if necessary return for help later.  Thanks for your help.

JohnGo

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: