Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard failed to install - Inland

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Hello all,

I bought an Inland keyboard and it keeps saying failed to install when I plug it into my Windows 7 computer. When I plug it into my HP computer it loads just fine; however, when i plug it into my Dell computer it fails. I have done Windows Updates, updated driver (Device Manager), uninstall driver, and re-install driver; yet each time it fails to to load. I don't know if its possible to copy the drivers form the HP to computer over to my Dell computer, because I've tried looking for a driver on the website ( http://inlandproduct...stock70126.aspx ) but non are available. I've attached a few screen shots of the error i get below.  Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• pic 1.png
  • pic 2.png
  • pic 3.png
  • pic 4.png
  • pic 5.png

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

What's the model number of the keyboard? So Windows installed the keyboard on the HP computer correct? Can you take a screenshot of the driver details on the HP computer? Have you tried plugging your keyboard into a different USB port on the Dell computer? What version of Windows does your HP laptop have?

You should also check this fix by Microsoft http://support2.micr...evice_problems/

Edited by MikeMason, 01 December 2014 - 03:34 PM.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

The keyboard is an Inland 70126. The HP computer is also a 32-bit Windows 7 machine. I've actually tried the keyboard on my other two dell machines and the keyboard also doesn't work with them. Below is a scree shot of the HP computer and screen shot of the message i got after using the MS fix it tool. 

Attached Thumbnails

• pic1.png
  • pic 2.png

Edited by willmon2000, 01 December 2014 - 07:04 PM.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Ok, plug the keyboard back into the HP computer. Make sure it's working and then go into device manager open the "keyboard" tab and take a screenshot. Click on any devices found in that tab and right click and properties and then click on the driver tab. Take a screenshot and post them up please.

When things go wrong with USB ports. Updating the BIOS is usually the first step. Have you looked into updating your BIOS? You need to be careful though. As you can permanently damage your machine if it's not done properly.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

A BIOS update was only required for one computer but after the update the keyboard still didn't work. Below are screen shots of the HP computer driver settings. The device manger had two entries for the keyboard they both seem the same but attached them both. 

Attached Thumbnails

• _key1.png
  • _key2.png

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Ok creator a folder on your desktop and name it "keyboard". Go into Windows/System32/drivers and copy and paste both kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys into the "keyboard" folder. Transfer the folder onto the Dell desktop. Plug in the USB keyboard. Go into device manager and select the unknown device. Right click and install driver manually. Select the "keyboard" folder which is on your desktop. Post back with what happens.

Edited by MikeMason, 03 December 2014 - 04:24 AM.