Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apple TV to VGA Projector

• Please log in to reply

jkoski

jkoski

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi there, 

I am using a pretty old 3M projector in my classroom. Recently, I bought a belkin HDMI to VGA Converter to project picture (and hopefully sound) through an Apple TV from my Macbook Pro. The picture works beautifully.

However, the sound is not working. I do know that VGA does not have sound, but the projector has an aux cable from two ports (Stereo mini 1 & 2). This works just fine on everything except the Apple TV. The belkin HDMI to VGA does have an aux port in it, and I plugged the aux cable from the projector into that, but still no luck. I also tried plugging external speakers into that port of the converter and, still, no luck. 

Any ideas?? I was thinking maybe a setting on the apple tv? Thanks!

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not 100% sure what your doing,

i assume video source is on mac, which is then

connected to apple tv wireless,

then onto projector via hdmi to vga cable, so picture shown on wall?

which device do you want the sound to come out from? mac or projector? other speakers?

also curious why the apple tv is in the middle, when i'd just bypass it and connect the mac directly to the projector.

the audio out from an apple tv is a digital signal and i'd guess the projector needs an analogue signal, i'd assume the converter cable your using would convert both the video and audio signals from digital to analogue.

so first thing i'd do is connect the apple tv to a tv with a hdmi to hdmi cable and check it is outputting sound, once you know that it is working and producing sound, then i'd guess the hdmi to vga cable may be faulty and not converting the sound signal or something so i'd try another cable and see if that fixes the problem.(could be the bad cable is the sound only one your connecting from the hdmi to vga adaptor to the projector or the speakers so try changing that one too. if speakers had their own cable then that would more or less say the hdmi to vga converter cable was the problem to me.)

http://www.amazon.co...to digital hdmi

if sound originates on the mac then you could just bypass the apple tv and connect a cable from the sound out on the mac to the sound in on the projector.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 03 December 2014 - 03:31 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

A different take on this, as one of us might be right Terry or myself, I think I know what the situation is here, the projector itself, being fairly old can only take a picture signal from the TV, possibly via a scart connector am I correct?

This results in you having to use the TV as the go between and as you say it works as far as the picture is concerned.

The sound I assume you wish to come from the TV's speakers?

If so you need to have a sound input port of some description on the TV, and then connect that with a lead direct to the speaker or headphone port actually on the Macbook.

I doubt that the sound ports on the HDMI to VGA adapter lead are actually analogue output, and may still be a digital one hence why no sound that you can hear coming from it.

If you can give us some information for the HDMI to VGA adapter or a link to where the information may be, we possibly might know for sure.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 03 December 2014 - 04:18 PM.

jkoski

jkoski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It's kind of those use what you have situations. I do have a VGA converter to my macbook, but I'm a teacher and would really like to not have to bring my laptop up to the front of the classroom every time I use it, and I had an extra Apple TV sitting around at home, so I thought I would give it a try. Like I said, the picture does work, but the sound does not work with that Apple TV wireless connection. I would also use some external speakers right to my computer, but I believe Apple TV forces sound to go to it if I'm in mirroring mode with the picture. 

This VGA to HDMI converter does have a toslink port, so I am going to try that with an Audio Converter Adapter which has a toslink in and RCA out the other end. I will put some RCA (sound) cables directly into the projector itself. Hopefully, the RCA cables will help that sound. 

I'll keep you posted, thanks again for the help!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

well to be honest it should work as you've set it up, mac mirrored to apple tv then assuming the dvi to vga cable is similar to the one i linked in earlier post then dvi into apple tv and vga into projector with a line out jack plug cable from the converter to the 2 rca plugs needed for the projectors sound input (or jack to jack (as shown in converter link.) if that's what the projector sound input needs.) :- http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000Q6LSVS

so assuming all cables and everything else works then i did find this that says you need to turn on your apple tv before mirroring to solve the no sound problem.

I had this same problem and I think I just found a solution. Turn on your Apple TV. BEFORE turning on the mirroring, change the output audio on your computer to Apple TV in System Preferences. After that, turn on the mirroring and the sound should be coming out of your tv.

Again, if you don't change the output before mirroring it will not work.

Hope this helps.

https://discussions..../thread/4167956

Edited by terry1966, 03 December 2014 - 06:06 PM.

jkoski

jkoski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

well to be honest it should work as you've set it up, mac mirrored to apple tv then assuming the dvi to vga cable is similar to the one i linked in earlier post then dvi into apple tv and vga into projector with a line out jack plug cable from the converter to the 2 rca plugs needed for the projectors sound input (or jack to jack (as shown in converter link.) if that's what the projector sound input needs.) :- http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000Q6LSVS

so assuming all cables and everything else works then i did find this that says you need to turn on your apple tv before mirroring to solve the no sound problem.

I had this same problem and I think I just found a solution. Turn on your Apple TV. BEFORE turning on the mirroring, change the output audio on your computer to Apple TV in System Preferences. After that, turn on the mirroring and the sound should be coming out of your tv.

Again, if you don't change the output before mirroring it will not work.

Hope this helps.

https://discussions..../thread/4167956

It didn't end up working by changing the sound output either (probably still because of the VGA conversion), BUT I did figure out that I can have the picture on the projector and the sound come out of my computer and external speakers! :)

Still waiting on the RCA converter. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

does sound like you have a bad dvi to vga converter cable then to me, because it should convert both the hdmi's digital video and digital sound signals into the analogue signals that i assume the projector needs, (without actually knowing what inputs are on the projector, probably should have asked for a link to it to check the full specs.)

i assume the projector has the option for the rca video and sound left and right inputs (instead of/along with the video vga and sound line input.) and why your going to try the hdmi to rca converter, must admit tho that adapter does exactly the same thing in that it converts the digital signals into analogue signals even tho the output connections are different types, so both options should work in my opinion.

must admit it's really bugging me now why the converter your using won't work, because i can't think of a logical reason why it shouldn't except either the converter is faulty or the line input on the projector no longer works. :rofl:

at least now you know you have a fall back of connecting the speakers to the mac and having sound out from that. :D

please continue to update us on your progress, :thumbsup:

Edited by terry1966, 04 December 2014 - 12:46 PM.

jkoski

jkoski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

does sound like you have a bad dvi to vga converter cable then to me, because it should convert both the hdmi's digital video and digital sound signals into the analogue signals that i assume the projector needs, (without actually knowing what inputs are on the projector, probably should have asked for a link to it to check the full specs.)

i assume the projector has the option for the rca video and sound left and right inputs (instead of/along with the video vga and sound line input.) and why your going to try the hdmi to rca converter, must admit tho that adapter does exactly the same thing in that it converts the digital signals into analogue signals even tho the output connections are different types, so both options should work in my opinion.

must admit it's really bugging me now why the converter your using won't work, because i can't think of a logical reason why it shouldn't except either the converter is faulty or the line input on the projector no longer works. :rofl:

at least now you know you have a fall back of connecting the speakers to the mac and having sound out from that. :D

please continue to update us on your progress, :thumbsup:

Hi there, 

I agree, I see no reason why it shouldn't work, because you would think that it would convert that sound as well. I did receive the RCA converter and a toslink cable and that does work!! It's a little bit of a hassle changing the audio to RCA when the projector keeps thinking that I have a computer plugged in, but it works!

Such a relief. Now my students are going to have a popcorn party this afternoon, so perfect timing!

Thanks everyone so much for the help!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

glad to know you got everything working to your satisfaction.

my curiosity will have to go unfulfilled tho on where the original problem was. :rofl:

enjoy the party with your students. :spoton: