Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minor Changes Happening (Hackers?)

• Please log in to reply

Pepanee

Pepanee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, so I've gotten to the conclusion that there is unauthorized access to this computer through the internet.

• Whenever I download files (like music and stuff), I tend to notice very minor changes in the files over time. You see, those files are supposed to stay in a stationary position (unchanged in any way possible), unless 'I' do something to change them. I want to avoid those minor changes from happening. Is there any program that can look for loopholes in Windows' settings that lets hackers to connect through?

• Randomly I've noticed additions to Windows Firewall over time where it has Google Chrome with a little complex settings in there, where it wasn't there before. That's one incidence. That wasn't there before when Chrome was installed.

• Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On Or Off:

- Legacy Components > DirectPlay had a check on there when there wasn't a check there initially.

- .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services > WCF Services > (Don't remember what was checked in here, but it wasn't checked before)

• Concrete example: There's this program called eMule that's installed on the computer. The icon on the desktop for the program is a little mule (the animal). But this one day, the icon was modified: Both his ears completely disappeared; he had no ears. But then within a few hours, his ears came back! Notice how weird and odd that is? The whole point of my question is who would actually do intentions like this to random people (me) and expect things out of it?

Who does intentions like so? 

So like I asked before, is there a program that check for security loopholes that may be enabled? (Are there any alternative programs like Microsoft Baseline Analyzer)

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Pepanee,

:welcome:

Hello, if remember me suggesting you come here from other forum to get your PC checked for viruses or Malware. You need to post this is in this  area  http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Good luck !!

Edited by jds63, 04 December 2014 - 05:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Pepanee,

Sound advice from jd to get the computer checked for malware but please follow the Self Help guide first, see GTG malware redirection information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes Phill i directing him here from Eight Forums, because he suspected a possible virus there. Why i advised to post in different area of this forum.

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi guys, thanks for redirecting me here jds.

I posted the OTL log & Extras at: http://www.geekstogo...pening-hackers/

Edited by Pepanee, 06 December 2014 - 12:31 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Downloading torrents = an open door for malware infection  ;) 

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Certain things that I am aware for when downloading...

I download music or videos, not exe files.

I make sure that there are many sources that have a certain file, which makes it a trusted file, and not malware.

But I want to know who is spending the time & effort to target me by doing minor changes to the computer. 

You see, whoever is targeting me is intentionally doing things to put me in a state of distress; they aren't hacking in here to steal my personal information or anything. 

Do you happen to know who or what type of corporation actually does this to people or individuals?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Downloading torrents = an open door for malware infection  ;) 

Well i had a feeling even from other forum, might be from downloading, nothing is safe these days unless it is a very reputable company downloading from. When you download it's an open door to let it in, if Anti-Virus not always going to catch everything. Not just exe files can do it, even e-mails can be dangerous. Be careful. Correct Torrents are not safe. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Certain things that I am aware for when downloading...

I download music or videos, not exe files.

I make sure that there are many sources that have a certain file, which makes it a trusted file, and not malware.

But I want to know who is spending the time & effort to target me by doing minor changes to the computer. 

You see, whoever is targeting me is intentionally doing things to put me in a state of distress; they aren't hacking in here to steal my personal information or anything. 

Do you happen to know who or what type of corporation actually does this to people or individuals?

Welcome Pepanee,

I directing you to this forum, because i knew these guys are more experienced with Malware and Virus then other forums.Stay with sources that most use from good reputable companies for music,videos.

Good luck, know you were very concerned on other forum, why also led you here.

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Okay good, well thanks jds for directing me here.

So okay, let's assume that people somehow hacked into here, but let's talk about these hackers.

Have you ever experienced people saying things similar to what I said above about the hackers?

What is the motive of them to modify files (for example: in music, adding small sound effects that sound different from the original).

But also here's the thing: When I try to get that song again, that newly downloaded song also has that new sound effect in it. But I actually caught an example of where an 'instrumental' version of a song doesn't have that sound effect! (The sound effect is not the person's voice singing, but just some sound effect in the song!) This implies that the instrumental version should have that sound effect! And I know that this sound effect didn't use to exist.

So what's all this about?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Pepanee,

Your welcome again, again you seemed pretty distraught over this stuff happening to your system.

I am not an expert in Malware and Virus removal. Guys in that area can answer more of those questions.
You yourself would know from what you are doing, what you are using to download music and videos.

We all know if downloading music illegally ( for free) there is most likely going to be a good chance you will get malware, adware, spyware and viruses in your system. Alot of this is done through Torrents files these days.

Not making any aquisations you are. Just known to be dangerous. Do not know of any loopholes or ways you can be safer except having a good Firewall and Anti-Virus, then being careful what you do on internet.

People like hackers or people that produce viruses do it for not much reasoning, more like idea they can do it and it works, satifactions they get out of it, unless there stealing your personal info, more reason for them to do it.

Things you mention about settings being changed i believe could only be done by someone who has access to your system, whether it be remotely in some way, keyloggers. Again mostly taken in from some sort of malware or virus, but usually with these it is an exe file of some sort.

Like i said i do not have knowledge to explain why, need to ask the malware team.

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Alright, well thanks for all your help jds. I'll ask in the malware forum.

You're right though, I'm just so annoyed at those people's intentional, attack-like actions. Once it's all over and judgement day comes, I just hope that they are reading this, because I shall never forgive them for these repetitive actions. No more. I am no longer forgiving. It's final.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Pepanee,

Have your mind cleared about this issue by letting malware team check your PC, then you go from there whatever the outcome becomes.

Your welcome, anytime!!  Be careful again on anything you do online. Malwarebytes is a good program as a secondary scanner.

Edited by jds63, 07 December 2014 - 04:12 PM.