Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Edit youtube clips (download then reupload?)

• Please log in to reply

Cyborg87

Cyborg87

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I'll just say what it is that i want to do and I hope some one can give me a few ideas.

My goal is to take different lectures/interviews that are on youtube and add subtitles to them (mostly in Hebrew/Arabic, but that doesn't matter right now).

Said lectures/clips aren't mine so i will need to download a clip first, edit it then upload it, or maybe add captions after uploading it. For example taking a 1 hour lecture that's in English and i want to add subtitles to it and have it available online.

I guess that i need an app that can download long clips from youtube, and maybe another app that will let me edit a clip and add subtitles to it. I'd rather put subtitles in the clip and not have to use youtube captions. 

Regards

Edited by Cyborg87, 04 December 2014 - 01:23 PM.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, :welcome:

Firstly I must impress upon you that most if not all Youtube Video's are covered by some form of copyright and associated laws. Therefore any modifications done by yourself must only be done with the original owners permission. That does cover putting subtitles on them in other languages. Especially if the modified video is then going to be uploaded again to Youtube.

Hopefully in most cases, and considering they are lectures that the original owner may actually like to be seen by a bigger audience, you possibly will not have much problem with gaining that permission, though do be aware you might get told no by some, and you will have to abide by that.

Having covered the legalities of what you wish to do.

There are a few different softwares available that can download a Youtube video to your hard drive and in a format that can them be worked with.

There is the free version of AVC for example which can also convert the downloaded video into many different types of format.

http://www.any-video...for_video_free/

When installing AVC, be careful of removing ticks for unwanted tool bars or other unwanted software. Where offered the custom install, use it, as that is when you will find the unwanted stuff to remove ticks to stop the install of such junk.

As for then putting subtitles on the video's afterwards, providing the languages are covered as far as actual font, by which I mean things like Arabic, or even Chinese where our letters and numbers are entirely different, so you may need to download language packs for it. There is the free and simple Windows Movie Maker available from Microsoft. If you already have the Windows Live, or Windows Essentials stuff installed, you may already have Windows Movie maker, however if not get it from Microsoft here:-

http://windows.micro...ive/movie-maker

Edited to correct a typo.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 07 December 2014 - 03:31 PM.

Cyborg87

Cyborg87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Wow what a Great answer :)

Yes, mostly the benefit will be mutual so i hope that copyrights wont be much of a problem. I'll be experimenting with these software, and I already have the languages i need, so no trouble there.

Thank you Plastic Nev!

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Glad I could help and thanks for the reply.

Can a mod mark this as solved please.

Nev.