Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Compatibility Help (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

neeralee

neeralee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a new GPU for my computer. But I have no idea how to tell if it is at all compatible to my computer.

The GPU i want to buy is :http://www.newegg.co...1-895-_-Product

My current computer specifications are:

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: NE501AV-ABA s3750t

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3964MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 1847 MB
Dedicated Memory: 120 MB
Shared Memory: 1726 MB

Hope to hear from someone soon ! :happy:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   neeralee,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately the card at your link will not fit inside your small/slim form factor (SFF) case  :( 

What you need is a low profile video card, these tend to be only any good for watching undemanding videos, office and school type usage and are not good for gaming.

Please also note that the computer only has a minimal 230W PSU which will also limit your options.

Post back and let us know what you were hoping to be able to achieve by upgrading the video card.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

neeralee

neeralee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   neeralee,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately the card at your link will not fit inside your small/slim form factor (SFF) case  :( 

What you need is a low profile video card, these tend to be only any good for watching undemanding videos, office and school type usage and are not good for gaming.

Please also note that the computer only has a minimal 230W PSU which will also limit your options.

Post back and let us know what you were hoping to be able to achieve by upgrading the video card.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

I was hoping to be able to play a PC game called Blade and Soul: http://www.game-deba...=Blade and Soul

Im horrible at picking out and finding the right components, Is there any way u can direct me to a Graphics card that might be able to run it?

It is a china server based game, so i know it will be laggy, But unfourtunetly my computer COULD run it now but the gameplay is horrible. Can't even move my character. Even on minimal settings, It's just totally unplayable.

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate the help  :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Beat me to it Phillpower2. 

So this is the info I have gathered. 

At the moment Newegg is down so can't see the GPU.

You would have a lot of problems installing a add on GPU in this computer and the benefits would be marginal over the integrated chip.  

The case is very small, can only install a low profile card. "Due to the small computer size, you can only install a small, low-profile

PCI-E card"

The PSU is only 160 watts, this will severely limit the GPU choice, unless you do an upgrade.    " HP recommends that you install a card with power consumption of 25 watts or less."   

Source, > http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00877796.pdf

The Product, > http://h10025.www1.h...c=en&lc=en#N851

The Motherboard, > http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=uk&dlc=en

As I get a different PSU wattage, please open the case to see exactly what you have, then we can see what card is available. 

What is your budget?

neeralee

neeralee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Beat me to it Phillpower2. 

So this is the info I have gathered. 

At the moment Newegg is down so can't see the GPU.

You would have a lot of problems installing a add on GPU in this computer and the benefits would be marginal over the integrated chip.  

The case is very small, can only install a low profile card. "Due to the small computer size, you can only install a small, low-profile

PCI-E card"

The PSU is only 160 watts, this will severely limit the GPU choice, unless you do an upgrade.    " HP recommends that you install a card with power consumption of 25 watts or less."   

Source, > http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00877796.pdf

The Product, > http://h10025.www1.h...c=en&lc=en#N851

The Motherboard, > http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=uk&dlc=en

As I get a different PSU wattage, please open the case to see exactly what you have, then we can see what card is available. 

What is your budget?

I checked and my wattage is around 160.

My budget is about 40-70$

Thanks! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Used the HP partsurfer and it shows that the PSU is 230W which is off + it no longer suggests video card upgrades there, see here

The fact that your PSU is only 160W makes any video card upgrade impossible I'm afraid  :(

neeralee

neeralee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Used the HP partsurfer and it shows that the PSU is 230W which is off + it no longer suggests video card upgrades there, see here

The fact that your PSU is only 160W makes any video card upgrade impossible I'm afraid  :(

Maybe I had been looking at the wrong thing >.<

To be honest, I'm trying to buy the card for a long term friend of mine. We game alot together, everyday.

I want him to try out the game because I just know he'd love it ;)

If he needs a power supply change as well, I could do that, But I would have no idea knowing if his computer could handle the new components that I wish to gift to him. I can't check his computer physically because he lives about 5 hours away from me >.<

If it's a dud and his computer can't handle a power supply+GPU change I'll just give him another present.

But if theres still hope for the two gifts I originally planned for him that would be great :happy:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but we have to be honest here and the truth is that what you ask is impossible, we cannot advise you on something without having 100% accurate information, to do so would be reckless.

You should also be aware that the HP s3750t does not have a standard size PSU and any upgrade to the present one would be expensive and the output limited, see here and here 

neeralee

neeralee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sorry but we have to be honest here and the truth is that what you ask is impossible, we cannot advise you on something without having 100% accurate information, to do so would be reckless.

You should also be aware that the HP s3750t does not have a standard size PSU and any upgrade to the present one would be expensive and the output limited, see here and here 

Thanks for your help, I appreciate that you tried  :happy:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are most welcome, I am sorry that I could not provide better news and thank you for understanding  :thumbsup: