Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is 4gb big enough

• Please log in to reply

mummybird

mummybird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and sorry if I'm in the wrong place,ive bought a laptop for my son for Xmas,its Toshiba 4gb ram,500gb sata hard drive.he wants it to play runescape,download films,music and games,is it big enough or do I need to buy an external hard drive? Once again sorry if I'm in the wrong place and any advice will be gratefully received

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Mummybird,

Well in off topic, but it's o.k., first time here,

:welcome:

Model number of laptop make us know more about this unit. Runescape will do fine most likely your over 1GHZ processor and you have enough RAM at 4GB, just not sure if comes to what other games you are thinking of, till i can research there specs.

Downloading movies will be large files and will also have to do with how fast your download speeds are, even if taking about streaming movies, music won't be much of an issue. Games, same idea as movies, large files. True movies and games will take up good amount of Hard Drive space and want to leave a majority of that space to software you put on and use with laptop.

So yes it is a good idea to get an External drive to save that space, but also as a backup for those kind of files, games, movies, music even in case of any loss by main system. Movies, music run fine on external drive, but can not do it with games. Games need to be installed on laptops main drive for best performance.

Always good idea to back up all your files. Hope this helps.

mummybird

mummybird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice,hes going to download storm game something or other so I'm definitely going to get the external hard drive,thanks again for the advice,I actually understood it

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

mummybird,

You are most welcome, glad i could help. Best thing for you and your son is when buying games, check the system requirements of the games first to make sure the laptop can run them well. Since i did not have system specs and other games in mind listed. Movies and music be fine for.Downloading, be internet providers speed you have, how fast it will download.