Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 new install (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Pat_54

Pat_54

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi.

See if I can explain this right. I have a Gateway nx860xl. Really don't have the money to get a new computer at least not the one I really want which cost about $800. My computer is several years old and I have had to do several things to improve it through the years but over all it's not a bad computer. I have upgraded my ram to the most I can which is 2gb. I had to put in new dvd/cd player cause mine went bad. I was having trouble with hard drive and of course with no more Microsoft updates for wins xp, I decided to install a bigger an new hard drive and install wins 7. I went with wins 7 cause really not a fan of wins 8. Everything went fine but after installing wins 7 and let computer download all the updates from Microsoft but noticed in device manager the devices listed there doesn't match the items listed in xp. Some are named different. After I installed new hard drive I could have used my recovery disk but it would have installed wins media center and didn't want that so just popped in the wins 7 disc. There are no questions marks or ! points showing anything wrong with devices in device manager but can't understand why some of the devices aren't listed the same or same name. I looked high and low for new drivers with no luck. Went to Gateway but they only list drivers for wins xp and vista. I happened to come across a couple programs that said they were free to check to see if all drivers are updated but they really aren't free, sure they scan your computer but cost you if you want to install and update drivers which it shows what they say you need. Not sure if I really need these drivers but afraid that computer may not have recognized all the devices that was on the original installed on computers hard drive with xp media center. I'm really confused why some of these device names changed when I installed wins 7 and these programs are saying I need to update certain drivers. Let me try to explain a little bit won't go into complete detail then once I get a response from you I can go into more detail if needed but will give some changes maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does but I know I'm confused. Some of the devices are for instance. Bluetooth. Now shows Bluetooth Radios under that it shows Generic Bluetooth adapter and under that Microsoft Bluetooth enumerator, the driver program says generic adapter is the one that needs driver update. In win xp those were listed as just Bluetooth devices under that Bluetooth bus enumerator manufactured by Broadcom and under that Broadcom 2045 Bluetooth 2.0 usb device. In win xp had device IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers under that Intel 82801G (ICH7 family) ultra ATA storage controllers 27DF under that Intel 82801GBM Sata ACHI Controller under that Primary IDE channel since install it has IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers under that it has 3  ATA channel first one says ATA channel 0 second ATA channel 0 third ATA channel 2, then has Intel 82801G (ICH7 family) ultra ATA storage controllers 27DF and Standard ACHI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller this again is one of the devices the program says need updated drivers. A few others drivers this program mentions are Intel Pro/10000 PL Network Connection.... Intel Pro/Wireless ABG Network.... PCMCIA flash memory devices Texas Instruments PCIxx12 integrated flash media controller. Okay this is best I can explain things. Not sure if anything though is really wrong the computer seems to be ok and like I said no ! points or questions marks in device manager,  just wasn't sure what to do and if all devices were recognized by the install. The only thing I really have noticed is. I play euchre which is a card game online and when I go into the game once the cards are dealt and playing a card the action or movement is slow and or jerky. Please help me if you can it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Pat_54,

What you are seeing is normal, Windows 7 itself is identifying your hardware as it sees it and not as how XP did  :thumbsup:

Can I ask what AV protection you are using as some are better than others by not being so demanding on system resources which can lead to lag and especially when online.

To see if it helps with the euchre card game graphics etc try disabling aero in Windows 7;

Click on Start > Control Panel > Personalization.
Select any of the themes in the Basic And High Contrast Themes category.
See if it helps.

According to the Gateway specifications here the NX860XL notebook will accept up to 4GB of Ram, having this amount would help with all round improvement.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Further to Phills good advice, if the version of XP was originally 32bit, that would be the reason for why you could only fit 2GB of RAM as 32bit systems will not recognise or work with much more.

However which Windows 7 did you install, it may be useful to know if it is Windows home premium, or Professional, though more importantly is it the 32bit or 64bit system you installed?

If 32bit you are still limited to the 2GB of RAM, however, if you installed a 64bit version you should be able to install a further 2GB of RAM, which should make an improvement.

(I am saying this as it is not clear in the system specs as to whether the other motherboard components will run a 64bit system)

Did you try the Microsoft upgrade tool to check if indeed the whole machine is capable of running Windows 7?

From here :-

https://www.microsof...ails.aspx?id=20

(edited to add upgrade tool link)

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 06 December 2014 - 09:44 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

A 32 bit system will recognize and use about 3.5 GB. So if the system will accept up to 4gb as the specs say, then the op can increase his ram and utilize about another 1.5gb.

You can also use a program called drivermax at  www.drivermax.com/download.htm

Its free after a free account.

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi

Sorry I didn't know I wasn't following the post but I am now. Here is a copy of Belarc showing my computer. I thought my computer was at it's limit with ram but will look into upgrading that. As far as the install of wins 7 at the time I didn't know I could changed from a 32bit to 64bit would this make a difference in the computer. I see where my computer will allow 64bit would it be better to upgrade this and am I going to have troubles finding the 64bit upgrade. Also will try the DriverMax thank you for the info there. I read where if you don't know what your doing with installing drivers you can make the machine worse so I bit scared here just to install any driver these programs say need updated. And as the saying goes if it's not broke don't fix it. Not sure if that's true with drivers though. Just not sure like I stated in my earlier post rather I need to install drivers or not. Maybe will be able to tell by looking at the Belarc. I know the computer has been pretty good to me over the years and would like to do these upgrades if possible and find out if all drivers are installed as well. Also I'm using Avast for antivirus and Superantispyware.  Thanks so much for your time. Let me know further once you see the report from Belarc or if I can do something else to help to get this worked out. Also I wanted to mention haven't activated my wins 7 yet as I wanted to make sure everything is in working order before I did. Cause if I needed to reinstall for some reason (didn't want and I know they do it) Microsoft to not let me reinstall because of using the key more then once. I think this is so silly what happens if I really need to install it again down the road and can't use the key again.

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name:  Gateway (in MSHOME)
Profile Date:  Sunday, December 07, 2014 12:19:35 AM
Advisor Version:  8.4
Windows Logon:  Patty

new  Click to try Belarc's Security Advisor for Android   

Operating System   System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 11/30/2014 7:18:59 PM
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)   Gateway NX860XL 3408608R
System Serial Number: 0039087414
Chassis Serial Number: 0039087414
Enclosure Type: Portable
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded   Board: Gateway 72.14
Serial Number: QTFCEZ71500121
Bus Clock: 667 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 72.14 03/19/2007
Drives   Memory Modules c,d
255.95 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
226.41 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B ATA Device [Optical drive]

Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 [Hard drive] (256.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 14330CED3171, rev MU01, SMART Status: Healthy   2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 1024 MB (serial number 7255B47C)
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 1024 MB (serial number 7255B484)
   Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 255.95 GB 226.41 GB free  

Network Drives
   None discovered
Users (mouse over user name for details)   Printers

local user accounts last logon
 Patty  12/6/2014 4:11:00 PM (admin)
local system accounts
 Administrator  11/20/2010 4:48:12 PM (admin)
 Guest never 
 HomeGroupUser$ never 

DISABLED Marks a disabled account;   LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account 

Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8600 on CN3AEE3G5105KC_FAX
HP Officejet Pro 8600 on CN3AEE3G5105KC
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers   Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 2 [Controller]
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller   NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
Bus Adapters   Multimedia
Texas Instruments PCI-8x12/7x12/6x12 CardBus Controller
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC   High Definition Audio Device
Virus Protection [Back to Top]   Group Policies

avast! Antivirus
   None discovered
Communications   Other Devices
Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem

↓ Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
 Dhcp Server:  none responded 
 Physical Address:  00:19:7D:E6:20:A0
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
↓ Intel® PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
 Dhcp Server:  none responded 
 Physical Address:  00:E0:B8:9C:F3:E1
↑ Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
 primary   Auto IP Address:  192.168.1.69 / 24
 Gateway:  192.168.1.254
 Dhcp Server:  192.168.1.254
 Physical Address:  00:19:D2:B1:B3:CF
 Connection Speed:  54 Mbps
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server:  192.168.1.254
   Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Microsoft Composite Battery
Generic Bluetooth Adapter
Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device (5x)
USB Input Device (2x)
USB Input Device (Logitech Download Assistant)
HP Officejet Pro 8600 (NET)
HID Keyboard Device
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (5x)
Generic volume shadow copy
USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details)   Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)

Last Used

PNY USB 2.0 FD, s/n AAC3170000000169, rev 1100 12/3/2014 1:10:35 PM*
ST325062 3A, rev 3.04 11/30/2014 11:55:03 PM*

* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.
   None discovered

See your entire network map...
 click for Belarc's System Management products   

Network Map (mouse over IP address for physical address) [Back to Top] 

IP

Device Type

Device Details

Device Roles

192.168.1.64  Printer Hpa45d363d5b42 (in MSHOME),
hp3d5b42, HP Compaq / HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a / #CN3AEE3G5105KC Web Server, Samba Server
192.168.1.65   android-47991121bfa6688f 
192.168.1.66   android-b615f2793e7d0096 
192.168.1.69  Windows 7 Workstation Gateway (in MSHOME),
gateway.home 
192.168.1.70  Windows XP Workstation Angel (in MSHOME), Asus Print Server, Browse Master
192.168.1.254  Router Controlpanel,
controlpanel.home, Clearaccess / SR350N 1.0 DHCP Server, Gateway, Domain Name Server, Web Server

Find your security vulnerabilities...

Missing Security Updates new – for Adobe, Apple, Java, Microsoft and more [Back to Top] 

Hotfixes from Windows Update (agent version 7.6.7600.320) install automatically.
 Last install: 12/5/2014 7:47:23 PM, download: 12/5/2014 7:47:00 PM, check: 12/6/2014 4:14:27 PM.

These security updates apply to this computer but are not currently installed (using Advisor definitions version 2014.12.2.2), according to the 11/18/2014 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary and bulletins from other vendors. Note: Security benchmarks require that Critical and Important severity security updates must be installed.

Hotfix Id

Severity

Description (click to see security bulletin)

Q2538243 Important  Microsoft security update (KB2538243) 
Q2565063 Important  Microsoft security update (KB2565063) 

Manage all your software licenses...

Software Licenses [Back to Top] 

Belarc - Advisor 9cd8f03b 
Microsoft - Internet Explorer 00359-112-0000007-85049 (Key: none activated)
Microsoft - PowerShell 89383-100-0001260-04309 
Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium 00359-112-0000007-85049 (Key: none activated)

Find unused software and reduce licensing costs...

Software Versions & Usage (mouse over i for details, click i for location) [Back to Top] 
   ı i  Adobe Systems - Acrobat Update Service Version 1.701.8.0051
   ı i  Adobe Systems - Reader and Acrobat Manager Version 1.701.8.0051
   ı i  Adobe Systems - Reader Version 11.0.9.29
     i  Adobe Systems - Shockwave Flash Version 15,0,0,239
     i  AVAST Software - Avast Antivirus Version 10.0.2208.719
   ı i  Belarc - Advisor Version 8.4
   ı i  Hewlett-Packard - HP Digital Imaging Version 028.000.1315.000
     i  Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware Version 1.0.1.711
     i  Microsoft - .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.5483
     i  Microsoft - .NET Framework Version 3.0.6920.4902
     i  Microsoft - .NET Framework Version 4.0.41210.0
   ı i  Microsoft - Internet Explorer Version 11.00.9600.17420
     i  Microsoft - Windows Installer - Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385    ı i  Microsoft - Windows Media Player Version 12.0.7600.16385
     i  Microsoft - Windows Script Host Version 5.8.7600.16385
   ı i  Microsoft - Windows Search Version 7.00.7600.16385
   ı i  No Company Name - Hardwood Euchre Safe Mode
   ı i  NVIDIA - Driver Helper Service, Version 179.67 Version 7.15.11.7967
   ı i  PC Drivers Headquarters - Driver Support Version 9.1.4.58
   ı i  Piriform - CCleaner Version 5, 00, 00, 5050
     i  Ruiware - WinPatrol Explorer Version 32.0.2014.5
   ı i  Ruiware - WinPatrol Version 32.0.2014.5
     i  SUPERAdBlocker - SUPERAntiSpyware Alternate Start Tool Version 1, 0, 0, 1128
   ı i  SUPERAntiSpyware - Core Service Version 6, 0, 0, 1080
   ı i  SUPERAntiSpyware - SUPERAntiSpyware Application Version 6, 0, 0, 1164
   ı i  VS Revo Group - Revo Uninstaller Version 1, 9, 5, 0

i  Mouse over to see details, click to see where software is installed.
   ı  Marks software last used within the past 7 days.
  ıı  Marks software last used within the past 90 days, but over 7 days ago.
 ııı  Marks software last used within the past year, but over 90 days ago.
ıııı  Marks software last used over 1 year ago.
  Unmarked software lacks the data to determine last use

Edited by Pat_54, 07 December 2014 - 12:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If there are no yellow ! or red Xs present in Device Manager and the computer is working correctly you do not need to change any drivers, to do so could actually cause you problems, all you need to do now is 1: Create a new system restore point. 2: Install the missing Windows updates identified by Belarc. 3: Activate the licence key with MS, nothing more.

Below is an excerpt from an article that I provide when advising on updating drivers;

The Golden Rule of Drivers: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It

Before you go obsessing about up-to-date drivers, you should note that, while we always recommend you keep your software updated for security and stability, drivers are another matter. While you should keep an eye on any security updates that pop up, different driver versions can introduce stability problems, so if your hardware is working as expected, you're better off not updating, since you never know when it might cause problems. You'll rarely get big speed or feature boosts from a driver update, so unless you see in the release notes that there's something big, you're usually okay to just ignore it.

Instead, only update your drivers if you're having a problem with your hardware. Say your ethernet connection drops occasionally, or your printer isn't printing properly. In this case, one of the first troubleshooting steps you should take is to update the driver, since these issues may be fixed in a new update.

The main exception to this rule is video drivers. Unlike other drivers, video drivers are updated often and usually with big performance increases, especially in new games. Heck, a recent Nvidia update increased Skyrim performance by 45%, and the driver after that increased its performance by another 20%. If you're a Skyrim player, that's a huge boost. So, when you see that your video card has a new driver available, see what improvements the driver offers—if it offers system-wide performance improvements or improvements in a game you're currently playing, you'll definitely want to update. If it doesn't, stick with the current driver.

Additional guidance for your future reference;

Do not use the likes of PC Drivers Headquarters - Driver Support, first of all go to the hardware providers site, if you have no success there use the DriverMax free option which will allow you to download two drivers a day for free.

ı i  Piriform - CCleaner Version 5, 00, 00, 5050
     i  Ruiware - WinPatrol Explorer Version 32.0.2014.5
   ı i  Ruiware - WinPatrol Version 32.0.2014.5

Unless you are an advanced user avoid anything that refers to the registry.

If you do not use any software that requires Java to run uninstall it, if you do, disable Java when it is not in use.

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi philpower2

Thank you so much for your help your so kind to help me here. If I were to update a driver and if I would do a system restore point before I would do the update and the computer is not acting right after the update could I go back to system restore point before the driver update and erase what was done. Not sure that would work or is there another way to do this. I did see those two security updates in Belarc I'm on it now. Also what is your opinion about the 64bit versus 32bit would this be difficult to do and do you know where I might find the upgrade to 64bit but I wouldn't do this until I upgraded my ram and do you think it's worth it. Also can you maybe give me a glue where to look for ram it's been so long ago since I upgraded forget where I got mine now but don't believe I bought from Gateway cause was to expensive. I really hate putting to much more into this computer with the age of it. At some point it's going to become obsolete. Thanks again for all your help. You guys are so awesome. I have had the pleasure of getting help from here with a virus and malware problem when I had xp installed and your site is just awesome and so helpful. It's always nice to see in this day in age that people help people there sure isn't enough of that these days. Keep up the good work. Great work.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Pat_54,

If I were to update a driver and if I would do a system restore point before I would do the update and the computer is not acting right after the update could I go back to system restore point before the driver update and erase what was done.

That is correct but only relevant with the two Windows updates here as you do not need any drivers updating.

Regarding upgrading the Ram and changing to a 64-bit OS, yes to upgrading the Ram but no to going to the trouble of changing from 32 to 64-bit, 4GB of Ram will improve all round performance of your present system settings and software whereas going 64-bit would need a fresh installation, possibly the purchase of a new 64-bit version of Windows 7 if you do not already have both versions + an appropriate product key, presently installed software will be 32 and not 64-bit and finally the so called sweet spot for 64-bit Windows is 8GB or Ram which your computer cannot accomodate.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal, let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

You are most welcome btw  :)

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi phillpower2

I downloaded crucial system scanner this is what it said. So sorry. I'm confused. I believe I have 1024mb in each slot which I thought 1024mb was 1gb, I only have two slots and can only have max memory of 2048mg. So am I at my limit or not. If I would purchase these wouldn't I have to purchase 4 of  them to make 4gb. Wow I'm confused. :confused:  Also here are the specs from speccy on my motherboard and ram.

Your Gateway  NX860XL

system specs as shipped memory

Maximum memory: 2048MB
Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory. 

1GB

DDR PC2-5300

1GB

DDR PC2-5300

RAM
  Memory slots
   Total memory slots 2
   Used memory slots 2
   Free memory slots 0
  Memory
   Type DDR2
   Size 2048 MBytes
   Channels # Dual
   DRAM Frequency 332.5 MHz
   CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
   RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
   RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
   Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
   Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21 clocks
  Physical Memory
   Memory Usage 39 %
   Total Physical 2.00 GB
   Available Physical 1.22 GB
   Total Virtual 4.00 GB
   Available Virtual 3.20 GB
  SPD
   Number Of SPD Modules 2
    Slot #1
    Slot #2

Motherboard
 Manufacturer Gateway
 Version 3408608R
 Chipset Vendor Intel
 Chipset Model i945PM
 Chipset Revision 03
 Southbridge Vendor Intel
 Southbridge Model 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U)
 Southbridge Revision B0
 System Temperature 40 °C
  BIOS
   Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
   Version 72.14
   Date 3/19/2007
  PCI Data
    Slot PCI-E
     Slot Type PCI-E
     Slot Usage Available
     Data lanes x1
     Slot Designation Mini-Card Slot
     Characteristics 3.3V, PME
     Slot Number 0
    Slot PCMCIA
     Slot Type PCMCIA
     Slot Usage Unknown
     Bus Width 32 bit
     Slot Designation PCMCIA socket 0
     Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PC Card-16, CardBus, Modem Ring Resume, PME, Hot Plug
     Slot Number 1

Edited by Pat_54, 08 December 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi Phillpower2

Btw I did what you said about disabling aero and it worked. Is there anything else I can do to get a better looking background if those themes are aero and they make my computer act up like that, don't want to use them. I like having the scenes in background. When I had xp I used the scenic background and I never had a problem.

Edited by Pat_54, 08 December 2014 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Pat_54,

The specs for your notebook here clearly show the following;

Memory
  • 533 and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • Dual Channel
  • Two 200-pin SODIMM Sockets on Motherboard
  • Both End-User Accessible
  • Expandable to 4 GB 533 or 667 MHz DDR2

Can you run the Crucial system scanner tool again and copy/paste the url from the results page into your next reply for us.

Regarding the desktop wallpaper, you can have a nice picture in the background without having the aero feature enabled, right click on an empty area of the desktop, click personalise and then select a picture to use as your wallpaper, if there are none that you like you can either download one from the internet or upload one from a memory card or thumb drive etc

Tip

Please do not double post, if you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Hi Phillpower2
So sorry about double post. Here's that link.
http://www.crucial.c...78C886631D926C3

Edited by Pat_54, 08 December 2014 - 01:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the url Pat_54  :thumbsup:

The scan confirms what most other information I am finding states and which is 2GB is the max and not 4GB as shown by Gateway.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any unnecessary software that you may have installed. 

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Here is that url. Thanks for all your help. Did some real searching here and happened across some old info when I was deciding to purchase laptop and it said 512mb each slot installed ram upgradable to 2gb max ram. A while ago is when I upgraded to 1gb each slot. Also wanted to ask when I had wins xp on old hard drive the computer had a pretty good sound volume and quality and notice now that volume is very low even after turning the speakers all the way up. I do know whenhad other hard drive I had Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec in device manager now it just says high definition audio device.

http://speccy.pirifo...ueSRFn85Z3ZU6YC

Edited by Pat_54, 09 December 2014 - 03:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the Speccy url which shows that the notebook is in the best of health  :thumbsup:

Gateway does not provide Windows 7 drivers for the Sigmatel audio device and so Windows is using its own generic audio drivers, that is why it is identified as a HD audio device, you could if you wish try the 32-bit Vista drivers that Gateway provided, if you do as is always advised be sure to create a new restore point first, drivers available from here

Can I ask how you are turning the speakers up as in using software or physically by pressing notebook buttons etc and are the speakers you refer to the notebooks internal speakers or external speakers that you plug in yourself.