I run Windows XP 5.1 system 32.
The PC has become infected with "win32:adware-gen" which is causing all sorts of problems.. I am unable to remove it manually as I cannot find where it has buried itself.
Searching for files an folders with any part of the "win32:adware" name comes up with no result.
I have tried resetting the PC to various earlier dates (before the infection) but get a response that nothing has changed since any of those times.
I have tried downloading Spyhunter and Reg Clean Pro but neither download can be completed, so I suspect the virus is preventing this.
Been trying close on two days now with no success.
Any help would be gratefully received as my PC has slowed to a crawl and I am unable to download some programmes, plus the annoyance of being bombarded with unwanted full screen ads!
Here is somebody's take on the virus:
is a troubling thing to get infected with win32:adware-gen [adw]. It is a nasty Trojan created by hackers to make great chaos to the target computer and steal personal data stored on the hard drive. The virus infiltrates into your system when you are installing a program, visiting hacked websites or even just clicking on suspicious links. Once infected, the computer freezes up, stops working as usual for what seems like no good reason. In the background, win32:adware-gen [adw] may delete necessary system files, terminate your processes, block access to programs etc. You may not notice win32:adware-gen [adw] is on your computer until antivirus like Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, Superantivirus detect it as this tiny size of virus has no interface and hides deeply at the bottom of the system. It always performs harmful things secretly. However, the above security software and some paid virus removal tools cannot remove win32:adware-gen [adw] effectively. That’s annoying. Of course, there is still other helpful method to get rid of it completely. That is manual approach. As long as you delete all its malicious files one by one, the virus will not come up again. Read the step by step guide below carefully for useful win32:adware-gen [adw] removal.Impacts of Win32:adware-gen [adw]
1. Win32:adware-gen [adw] enters your computer without your consent and disguises itself in root of the system once installed.
2. Win32:adware-gen [adw] can compromise your antiviruses and introduce additional infections to your computer.
3. Win32:adware-gen [adw] may help the cyber criminals to track your computer and steal your personal information.
4. Win32:adware-gen [adw] often takes up high resources and strikingly slow down your computer speed.
5. Win32:adware-gen [adw] may force you to visit some unsafe websites and advertisements which are not