Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Highly Infected Computer - Helping Elderly Neighbors [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hi there! Having to post this from my own computer. I came home to do the malwarebytes as you described (by the way the neighbors told me office depot had installed that and it wouldn't let them update it, but I haven't tried yet). The computer was never turned off but I guess it shuts itself down after awhile? 

I tried moving the mouse and hitting the space bar but it didn't come on, so I turned it off and on - nothing. Unplugged it, and then turned it on after plugging it back on and here's what it does now:

Just cycles, etc. I show you in the video where, if I DO hit escape as it instructs, what it does - but I have no idea which option to choose. 

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I came home to do the malwarebytes as you described (by the way the neighbors told me office depot had installed that and it wouldn't let them update it, but I haven't tried yet).

It might update now that we have got rid of a lot of malware however let's leave that one for now.

The computer was never turned off but I guess it shuts itself down after awhile?

Number of things could have happened. Might have overheated, might have gone into hibernation, might have received some updates and attempted a restart that didn't work or, it might even have been reinfected by a missed, but still active, malware file calling home and downloading some bad stuff.

If it's hibernation, depending on the make and model there will be a simple way to wake it up. On my notebook you press the Fn key and wait. On another of my machines it's the Windows key and on yet another, you just press the start up button once.

I think it's a good idea to shut down a laptop when you aren't using it. That is go to Start > Shut down and log off or what ever you do on that one.

For now though we are faced with the  solving the dilemma we find ourselves in.

Some things to try:

Try starting in Safe Mode

Boot into Safe Mode:

1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap F8 continually.
3) If you are asked what mode to bootup in press Esc to boot in the default settings
4) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
5) Select the option to run Windows in Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work try a Start up Repair:

Go to Win 7 Startup Repair for instructions on how to carry out a Startup Repair.

If neither of those work, come back and tell me and we will look at another approach.

If one of them does work, please run a FRST scan again and copy and paste the FRST.txt log generated back here.

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Thanks for trying to help. I never could get it working. My sons put the neighbors' files on a thumb drive and restored the system back to factory conditions. I ended up putting malwarebytes on there for them and will show them how to use Chrome. Working great now. 

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Thanks for telling us.

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.