Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Splitting avi's

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I've found this often. When you split an avi or video file it doesnt split exactly where you state the cut point, but at some point which must be a start of segment or something. So you cut 2 minutes in, but it cuts at 1min.55 for example. Is it because of the small split files of around 1-2 minutes or can I get a better program

Currently using avidemux 2.6.8

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

You can get better programs, however they may well be paid for software that will cut or split exactly where you want.

If you want free only, have you tried Windows Movie maker? You can get that off the Microsoft site. Though the output file types are short of choice with that.

http://windows.micro...ive/movie-maker

I have tried quite a few free video editors, and to be quite honest I don't think much of any of them and for a quick edit the Microsoft Movie Maker is about the best.

If you don't mind paying, there is Lightworks which I have tried which can do a tremendous amount in editing and not just splitting or cutting, however it does have quite a steep learning curve, though there are many Youtube or other written tutorials available for it.

http://www.lwks.com/

Ther are of course many other editors, each with their own speciality and again I tried a few, though not as many as the freeware due to cost of course and though Lightworks is a yearly subscription type program, I found it the best.

Nev.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

HJ split does not seem able to split by timeframe. I'll try movie maker eventually, but at the moment I want to resist having to install windows essentials. I tried Avisplit, but I've already had a trial with that one

riderr

riderr

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I am using VidepPad Video Editor, it splits videos perfectly and has a lot of other useful features.