Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway NE51b18U

• Please log in to reply

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I currently have a gateway NE51B18U and I've been having problems recently. This laptop currently does not have a monitor since it was used for a nicer laptop. The problem is that whenever I try to hook my laptop into my tv via HDMI it does not work. So I tested it by inserting the screen back into the laptop and it did not show anything but a black screen. If there is a way to fix it please respond!

Thank you,
Jonathan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   JonathanOh,

Couple of questions if I may;

Has the computer ever worked when connected to this TV via the HDMI port.

Have you tried attaching the Gateway to an external screen using the VGA port.

When you replaced the screen did you try toggling the display from external to internal, some computers use the Fn + the F5 key and some may use use a single hot key that has a picture of a screen etched onto it.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you and yes it did work with the HDMI and VGA cable before. And when the screen was connected I pressed F5 because my laptop doesn't require FN and F5. Even though I tried all these before it would not work.

Thank you,
Jonathan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

But have you tried using the VGA port since finding that the HDMI port will not work.

Couple of additional questions so that we have all the facts;

When you press  the power button do you;

See the power and other LEDs illuminate, if yes do they stay lit up, the HDD activity LED blinking for example.

Hear the internal cooling fan running.

Get a BIOS screen then a black screen or is the screen permanently black.

Depending on the above answers we may have a better idea of what is wrong once we have your update.

One suggestion that I would make is to remove the mains and battery power, remove the Ram, press the power button for 20 to 30 seconds to dispel any residual charge in the MB, replace the Ram and AC adaptor only and test.

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay so all those have been tried before and the hdd light does blink but I don't recieve a bios before the screen turns black. I will try the method with taking out the ram.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Okay so all those have been tried before

Not being pedantic but can you answer each question and so that it is clear as to what you mean.

But have you tried using the VGA port since finding that the HDMI port will not work.

Yes or no.

Hear the internal cooling fan running.

Do you hear the cooling fan at all.

The BIOS or splash screen is not always displayed on boot and it often takes pressing the tab key on boot to get it to display, if removing the Ram and trying the tab key on boot does not result in you getting at least the BIOS/splash screen it suggests that either the video chip or MB have failed and possibly brought about by a system short.

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, I did try the vga when I found out that the HDMI does not work. Yes, I do here the internal fan running. And when I boot up I don't see anything in general I just see a black screen. Even in the dark it seems like it wasn't even on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the clarification.

As per my reply #6

The BIOS or splash screen is not always displayed on boot and it often takes pressing the tab key on boot to get it to display, if removing the Ram and trying the tab key on boot does not result in you getting at least the BIOS/splash screen it suggests that either the video chip or MB have failed and possibly brought about by a system short.

If both of the above still result in a black screen I`m afraid that you may find that this is not a financially viable repair, if the video chip has failed it will cost more than a new MB to have it replaced and likewise if the MB has failed unless you do the repair yourself you will need to pay for swapping the old one out and the CPU transferred to the new board etc.

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay thank you very much

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

So you were unable to get a BIOS screen and removing the Ram etc did not help.