Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I made changes to settings and now I can't connect to several site

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro X64.  Today, I was flittin' around the net and came across some YouTube videos about speeding up computers and Firefox.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2nKAluvDb8

Before I made the changes to my pc, I had no problems connecting to Yahoo (my email), att.net, flickr.com and mozilla.

Then I stupidly followed their directions to a T and now I can't enter these websites.  I keep getting messages that warn me away from these sites (attached screenshots). I don't want to just delete the changes/revert back to original settings on my own.  I'm also wondering if just a System Restore would change the setting back to their originals.  I do have Restore Points to use.

I hope someone can help me with this.

EDIT:

Well, I thank all of you wonderful people for your anticipated replies.  Earlier this evening, I wanted to see what day Jan 15th was going to fall on.  Unfortunately, I used my Windows clock, changed the month to January and the year to 2015 and I forgot to change it back.  :oops: Once I did that, I was able to connect to Yahoo, Flickr, etc.  Again, thanks for being here to stop me from panicking.  I love you people.  MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1att.net jpg.jpg
  • 1flickr jpg.jpg
  • 1mozilla jpg.jpg
  • 1yahoo jpg.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 10 December 2014 - 06:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know how the issue was resolved Denisejm  :thumbsup:

For reasons why so called system tweaking tools should not be used take a look at miekiemoes' Blog here

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Those tweaking tools are very tempting to me and I need to ignore them.  I'm getting better tho.  I don't remember what led me to those videos, I didn't seek them out.

I didn't even think that the wrong date on my Windows clock could have that effect on websites.  I just corrected it so it would be right again and was really happy to see that it fixed the problems.

I read the webpage from your link.  It's very true.

Thanks again!  And may your holidays be everything you want them to be.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

So called tweaking tools are the scourge of computers and the providers of them exploit people I'm afraid  :(

The real time clock (RTC) being incorrect can cause all sorts of problems with the worst one/s being your OS and AV software not being able to update which leaves the computer unprotected.

Happy holidays to you also  :thumbsup: