Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Trojans been ignored? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

Today I downloaded a Chinese video game from a Chinese website. After the download completed, my AVG software popped up telling me I had this Trojan:

http://www.avgthreat...m=RS&PRTYPE=AVF

I've had experience with Chinese software before, and it is pretty common that it comes with some kind of malware of spyware - even popular software comparable to VLC Media Player's popularity. I lived in China for a year and all of my friends had infected computers, it was just normal for some reason, haha.

But I haven't come across something as significant sounding as a trojan, so I thought I would ask before trying anything.

My aim is to be able to play the game without worrying about any infection. I pressed "Ignore threat" in my AVG, so I still have the file on my computer. It's a .exe file and I still haven't opened it yet. It's a full 1gig file so at least it doesn't appear to be some 20kb .exe file which was created for the purpose of infection.

Since the threat seems to be the game itself, is there anyway to play the game without it causing any problems?
Could it possibly just be AVG being confusing with the file, maybe it's not in the AVG database due to it's foreigness in language etc?

Can I make the file CLEAN?

I think you know what my aim is so I'll leave it to the pros to come up with solutions.
Thanks again

++++

This is the game and webpage that I downloaded it from:
http://www.yxdown.co...28.html#pinglun
(I have a limited understanding of Chinese, but in the comment section it sounded pretty legit as if people had really downloaded it, but no one mentioned any virus issues - as far as I have read. I'm a pretty slow reader in Chinese. If anyone reads Chinese it could really help to check in the comments section)

游戏可能被某些杀毒软件提示,部分报毒与破解汉化有关,请谨慎下载
This is on the website
I can't translate it perfectly but I THINK it says
"The game might cause alert from some anti-virus software, ~~the reporting of virus may have something to do with things being converted into Chinese,~~ Please use caution when downloading"

The section I wrote in "~~....~~" Is where I'm not 100% of translation

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Is this a legal download?

If you run illegal software then you will almost certainly get infected. And no, don't ignore the Trojan. Remove the software and get help cleaning your PC.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hmm, actually I am not sure whether it's legal. It's hard to know what is legal or illegal in China. Even mainstream websites seem to have things which would be illegal if they were on something like YouTube, TV shows/movies etc. But I think it's a pretty old game so may be available for free.

Actually I followed the advice of someone on a Chinese forum who suggested deleting the infected ".exe" file and renaming the ".dat" file to ".exe"
This allowed me to open the game and my AVG didn't make any complaints.

Is this a sign of success? OR have I just allowed the virus in through an even sneaker route?

My computer is running perfectly fine as before, since opening the file/restarting computer etc.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

If you think your computer may be infected, can post in our Virus, Spyware, Malware removal forum so our Malware Experts can assist you in diagnosing and cleaning up your computer.

To start, please read our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide to learn how to receive help and what logs we will need from you so we can diagnose the problem more quickly and efficiently. We also offer Malware Removal Guides, that will show you the latest infections out there, what they do, and how you can remove them, and other How-To Guides.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Cool,

Thanks a lot for your speedy replies, and your definite answer.
Fortunately I think I have quite a good grasp on how to kill malware, thanks to previous encounters with the FINE people of this forum.

I guess I'll give a scan anyway to make sure nothing went wrong.

I think we can consider this RESOLVED!

Don't mess with viruses kids!

Thanks again sir,

Have a good night,
Please go and make yourself a tea to enjoy on my behalf.

Byebye

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.