Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New features of Windows 10

* * * * * 1 votes tech preview

• Please log in to reply

JasonSwift14

JasonSwift14

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi everyone,

I use Windows 7 for many years but I am thinking of upgrading them. What new features provide the Windows 10 that Windows 7 don't have?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Find out for yourself :)

I suggest running Windows 10 Technical Preview as a Virtual Machine under VMWare Player or Oracle Virtual Box.

Windows 10 is Windows 8/8.1 with some minor changes and improvements. That means you will have the new Modern Start screen and also a semi-normal Start Menu. You will have Apps that look like smart phone apps but also a normal desktop you have in Windows 7.

Google has lots of info for you on this topic:

compare windows 7 windows 8.1

compare windows 7 windows 10

JasonSwift14

JasonSwift14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Thanks Ztruker!

mikejohnlen

mikejohnlen

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello All,

according to me -For now Microsoft is keeping it quiet, but Build 9926 of the Windows 10 Technical Preview released last week can be downloaded and installed via Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Yes, this is something so simple and sensible it beggars belief Microsoft hasn’t done it until now.

For now this method comes with a caveat: a small file is needed. Users go to Microsoft’s Technical Preview page and click the ‘Start upgrade now’ button. This downloads the file, you run it and afterwards you will be prompted to restart your PC. On first boot Windows Update will now show ‘Upgrade to Windows 10’ as an option. Say goodbye to burning DVDs, making USB boot drives and fiddling with bios boot order settings.