Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

When I turn on the power to my computer, it starts the boot process but won't boot up fully.  It is stuck in a repeating cycle of restarting.

It is an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe that I assembled in 2006.

My computer was working fine when I disconnected everything about 2 months ago and carefully stored it in a closet during home renovations (painting, etc.)  When I reconnected everything and started it up, I got a message saying "Overclocking Failure or Overvoltage Failure."  I replaced the CMOS battery and reset the time and date in BIOS. When I restarted the computer the message no longer appeared, but then strange things began to happen:

I get one POST beep and then the Asus splash screen appears, then a blue screen for about 1/2 second, then a black screen saying IDE scan is taking place, then another black screen asking which OS I want to boot into (I only have Windows XP SP3 - malware free.)  I select that and then the entire process repeats from the single POST beep.

When I go into the boot load screen, if I select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking or Last Known Good Configuration, it doesn't boot into either of those.  Instead the whole process starts over again with the single POST beep.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Geeks to Go (phillpower2) has helped me in the past, for which I am grateful.  Thank you.

Edited by Jackpine, 11 December 2014 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Jackpine,

Can you remove and then reseat the memory stick/s + any add on cards and check that all internal connections to the HDD and other hardware are securely in place.

Let us know if you have access to another computer that has internet access and a CD/DVD burner.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2.  We meet again!

I will do all the checks you mentioned when I get home tonight.  In the meantime, I do have a laptop with Windows 8.1.  It has internet access and a CD/DVD burner.

By the way, after you helped me with my problem earlier this year (DVD drive didn't auto play), I made a complete image of my C:\ drive using Macrium Reflect.  It's stored on an external drive.  It's available if that is an option to be considered.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Greetings Jack  :wave:

Suggested steps only and please keep XP away from any other OS  :thumbsup:

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I removed and reseated and locked in place the two 1GB memory sticks.  (They were already securely locked in place.)  I checked all internal connections (HDD, optica drives, power supplies, video card, etc.)  Everything was secure.

I tried booting and the same thing happened. One beep, Asus splash screen, IDE scan, select OS to boot into, Windows screen, brief BSOD with writing that I couldn't read it was gone quickly, screen asking how I want to start (Safe Mode, Normal, etc.etc).  No matter what I choose, it won't boot properly.  I also can't get into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.

I also replaced the two memory sticks with brand new spares that I had bought but never used.  Same result as above.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
another black screen asking which OS I want to boot into

Odd as this would normally suggest a dual boot set up.

Have you double checked the boot sequence in the BIOS and that it is still set to HDD first and DVD/CD drive second.

Cannot recall if you have an XP disk to try a repair install before testing the HDD or using your back up image, can you let us know if you have an XP disk.

meyer99

meyer99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have same issue with a PC with winxp that was disconnected for 6 months. I see the booting process and right after the winxp screen the screen goes black. My winxp is OEM, so no disks. I started twice on safe mode but now even safe mode is not working? What can I do?
Edit: i managed to boot in safe mode. What should I do next?
Thank you in advance.

Edited by meyer99, 13 December 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

phillpower2,

I checked the boot sequence in the BIOS.  It is set correctly.

The black screen where I am asked which OS to boot into has two items: Microsoft Recovery Console and Windows XP Home.  (The Recovery Console was installed as per instructions received a number of years ago from Geeks to Go when I had a malware problem.)

I have the original Windows XP Home CD that I bought when I put together this thing.  I also have an image on an external drive: one made by Acronis, another made by Macrium Reflect. These were made in April of this year after the "DVD would not play" issue.

Note: the Windows XP disk is readily available.  The Acronis and Macrium start up disks are in a case packed away that I can't get to for at least another week.  We had house painting done and lots of stuff is still packed up and temporarily inaccessible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The Recovery Console being present explains why you are asked which OS you want to boot into, have you tried booting into the recovery console.

The XP disk will be fine if and when needed  :thumbsup:

Before you run the HDDs diagnostics tool is there any data on the drive that you would like to try and back up, if not see below;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I downloaded the program for my Western Digital HDDs.  (One has the OS and programs, the other has data.)

I unzipped the files.  There are two executible files: setup and WinDlg.  Shall I burn everything to a DVD and then boot from an optical drive and see what happens? (These programs are supposed to be bootable so maybe the correct executible will open on its own.)

I burned everything to a DVD using Nero Burning ROM.  I will set the BIOS and try booting into this and see if the HDD is tested.  I will report back with results later this afternoon.

Edited by Jackpine, 13 December 2014 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Seatools for DOS is always good for non booting HDDs  :thumbsup:

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I have two optical drives.  I set the BIOS to boot into the first one and tried to run the diagnostic tool.  It wouldn't load.  I then reset the BIOS to boot into the other optical drive and tried again to run the diagnostic tool.  It also wouldn't load.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are two exe files on the disk, setup and WindDldg.  Is one the DOS version and one the Windows version?  According to the website link you gave me, once I pick the manufacturer of my HDDs (Western Digital), both versions are available.  I think I want the Windows version.  I will reburn only with WindDlg exe and try again.

Any advice?

OK, tried booting with a CD that has only WinDlg.exe on it and no luck.  I can't boot into this diagnostic tool.  I don't know if that's because of the computer or of the disk that I burned.

Edited by Jackpine, 13 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Try Seatools for DOS which you can download from here - it needs to be the DOS version when you are unable to boot into Windows.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

The program needs to an iso file so it boots from the CD/ DVD.

Use the file phillpower2 linked to.

Then use http://www.majorgeek...s/burncdcc.html

It is a quick little program just for iso files.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

OK, I burned the SeaTools for DOS ISO.  I read the guide for using this tool, and see that there are different tests that can be run.  For example, Short or Long, Fix or don't Fix.  For starters, I will try and run the Short Test and see what kind of results I get.  Then you can tell me what the next steps should be after I report.

Update: The computer was able to boot into the SeaTools CD.  I ran the Short Test on my C:\ drive which has Windows XP Home and other programs.  Short Test result: Passed.  I also ran the same test on my D:\ drive which has data.  It also Passed.

I am now running the Long Test on C:\ drive.  I'm going out to do some Christmas shopping and will check back in a few hours.

Edited by Jackpine, 14 December 2014 - 10:14 AM.