Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox 34 runaway tabs with .pdf files

• Please log in to reply

Syncmaster75

Syncmaster75

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi everyone,

Since the update of FF to version 34 I have a bug with opening .pdf files. It doesn't always happen, but for some .pdf files it opens a new tab to display the file (as it always does), then opens another new tab, and another etc. - I end up with dozens of new tabs, each saying 'opening'. The only thing I can do then is to shut FF down completely, then after a few seconds it re-starts itself and comes up with a message saying it failed to open whatever the temp file for the .pdf was named as it doesn't exist in the folder it's looking in. If I ignore the message and go back to using FF as normal it's fine until I try to access a .pdf file, then it's a lottery as to whether the bug kicks in or not. Some of the links to the .pdf documents I want to see are fairly old (linked from old forum pages) but if they don't exist anymore it should just come up with 'file not found', not go mad with the tabs. Anyone else seen this? or know how to fix it?

I'm using win XP service pack 3, Adobe reader version 11.0.08, plugins all seem to be 11.0.07.79

Thanks.

Advertisements

Volatility34

Volatility34

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hy -try to install this plugin : https://addons.mozil...ox/addon/pdfjs/

Pay attention that this plugin may create conflicts whith adobe reader ,so is reccomended that you stop the adobe reader plugin.

Syncmaster75

Syncmaster75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Thanks, Volatility 34. I've done as you suggested and swapped to the pdfjs pluggin after disabling the standard Adobe one - so far every pdf file I've openned has worked correctly no matter how old the link (unless the file has been deleted of course!).

Bug now squashed! :laughing: